Looking for a new feed.

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
I've been happy with Poultry Gold feed, it's great for a mixed flock. But when my chicks grow up, my flock will only be laying hens for a long while.
I'd like to switch feed once that happens.
I'm looking for something good for laying hens that can be found in the UK.#

I buy 20kg of poultry gold for £12.50, I'd like something similar in price

I am also in the wrong country to be helpful, but why are you switching to a different feed? I feed starter/grower/all flock for my birds entire lives. I feel that layer is to high in calcium to be good for layers long term. Birds that are molting, brooding, older, younger, or not laying consistently for one reason or another, don't need all that calcium. It can actually be bad for them if fed long term. For someone who is keeping chickens for meat, or culls older birds, its not an issue, but for the average backyard flock owner keeping chickens for pets, it can be a problem.

Oh, I CAN say that I looked at some UK feed for a poster months ago (part of why I hold the views I do about their labels), there's a brand "smallholder range" from Allen & Page that is definitely way out of the desired price range. They were pushing the nonGMO angle plus some even more feed restrictive ideas which I found to be, politely, "curious". Their target market seems to be people with more pounds than nutritional sense.

The old thread was here, maybe it refreshes a memory or offers something worth checking out? Try http://www.fancyfeedcompany.co.uk/products/layers_pellets.htm - see one source claiming its £13.50 for 20kg, and the ingredient list isn't terrible. The other companies I listed in that thread should be avoided (that poster WAS looking for organic or non-GMO, I think... Even so, there should be similar nutrition, cheaper options out there I'm simply unaware of.

I am also in the wrong country to be helpful, but why are you switching to a different feed? I feed starter/grower/all flock for my birds entire lives. I feel that layer is to high in calcium to be good for layers long term. Birds that are molting, brooding, older, younger, or not laying consistently for one reason or another, don't need all that calcium. It can actually be bad for them if fed long term. For someone who is keeping chickens for meat, or culls older birds, its not an issue, but for the average backyard flock owner keeping chickens for pets, it can be a problem.
I'd like to switch because my current one is barely got layers pellets in it and I'm looking for a more nutritional one

I feed starter/grower/all flock for my birds entire lives. I feel that layer is to high in calcium to be good for layers long term. Birds that are molting, brooding, older, younger, or not laying consistently for one reason or another, don't need all that calcium. It can actually be bad for them if fed long term.

I have not heard that before. My chickens are now 3+ years old, and just last week I lost a hen due to being egg bound (I think). Having said that, I thought the problem with being egg bound might be a lack a calcium in the diet, but more probably due to age. I thought layer feed was the preferred commercial mix throughout the life of the hen.

I do provide additional calcium and grit in separate feeders for free will feeding. That seems to work for my hens. However, in about a month, I will be integrating young chicks to the laying flock and will have to switch feed at that time. Would you recommend going to a grower or all flock feed feed at that time? Any help appreciated.

Well, like the others, I live in the USA and can't be of help for you in the UK. All I can say about feed price is that I am now paying about 30-40% per bag of feed compared to last year. Hope you guys in the UK are not getting hit as hard.

I've been happy with Poultry Gold feed, it's great for a mixed flock. But when my chicks grow up, my flock will only be laying hens for a long while.
I'd like to switch feed once that happens.
I'm looking for something good for laying hens that can be found in the UK.#

I recommend Heygates layers pellets. Average of £9 per 20kg bag. Best stuff around in my opinion.
http://www.heygatesfeeds.co.uk/layers-ingredients/

I recommend Heygates layers pellets. Average of £9 per 20kg bag. Best stuff around in my opinion.
http://www.heygatesfeeds.co.uk/layers-ingredients/
Glanced at the ingredients list (since they didn't give a minimum nutrition). They are saying the right things, and none of those ingredients are of particular concern by mere presence, though quantities could make a difference (as they will with ANY ingredient).

Back
Top Bottom