Looking for a secret

Blueline

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 8, 2013
Does anyone know an easy method of "peeling" hard boiled "fresh" eggs? We have tried using the oldest eggs, which is only about 2 weeks old. We have put the eggs directly from the boil into cold tap water. We have put the boiled eggs into 'ice cubed' cold water bath right from the boil pan. I even tried freezing an egg, only about 2 hours. No method to date has made peeling an egg easy. Most eggshell is coming off in small pcs. 1/4" round and any big pcs are still holding egg white which is thick enough to 'filet' off with a knife. Our fresh eggs have proven very hard to peel compared to "store bought", assumed been around for awhile eggs which peel easier and in larger shell pcs which I would only term as tedious - not very hard.
barnie.gif

Any bright ideas?

Charlie

Does anyone know an easy method of "peeling" hard boiled "fresh" eggs? We have tried using the oldest eggs, which is only about 2 weeks old. We have put the eggs directly from the boil into cold tap water. We have put the boiled eggs into 'ice cubed' cold water bath right from the boil pan. I even tried freezing an egg, only about 2 hours. No method to date has made peeling an egg easy. Most eggshell is coming off in small pcs. 1/4" round and any big pcs are still holding egg white which is thick enough to 'filet' off with a knife. Our fresh eggs have proven very hard to peel compared to "store bought", assumed been around for awhile eggs which peel easier and in larger shell pcs which I would only term as tedious - not very hard.
barnie.gif

Any bright ideas?

Charlie
I have found that after a 12-14 minute boil and cold water bath works great... Here is the trick, run the egg under cold water while peeling. This will allow a stream of water to work its way under the shell to loosen the inner skin. 99.9% perfect eggs...

Thank you

We are starting to boil water, salted right now! See how it goes.
idunno.gif
Will report our progress soon.

Charlie

I've had good luck with starting in cold water, add eggs, bring to a boil and turn off and cover. Leave for 15 minutes and then an ice bath.

They peel pretty easy... don't know much about chickens but I cook a lot.

Two perfectly peeled eggs, about 30 seconds each or less
wee.gif
ya.gif

Thanks one and all ... Happy Holidays

Charlie

replied to wrong thread, but I'm back on the correct one now
bow.gif

I've found that fresh eggs take a lot longer to hard boil than store bought.

I used to drop my store bought into cold water, bring to a boil then shut the heat off and wait 10 minutes. with fresh, I first boil the water, place the eggs in directly from the fridge. I boiled them ...full, rolling boil, for 15 minutes then plunge into ice bath. 99% peel without a problem.

I have had pretty good luck putting them in cold water with both salt & vinegar added & then bringing them to a boil & turning them off and letting them cook 12-15 minutes. Then into cold water. I am going to try the steaming method. It was just mentioned again in Mother Earth News this month, however they stated 30 minutes instead of 20, so I will experiment. Don't really have any eggs to boil right now.

if you boil the eggs then pour the water away and while they are still hot, put the lid back on the pot and shake them gently then fill pan with cold water - this breaks the shells and lets the water get underneath resulting in them practically falling off!
good luck

Back
Top Bottom