Looking for a Sheltie Puppy....maybe

BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
My sweet Gracie is coming ten years old... and ... well, she has this lump. Vet says it is probably benign, but .... it's about as big as a tennis ball and it's on her left flank, in the hollow behind her ribs, under her left ribs; it's big and I think it's growing. Benign, she is ten. And, well, dogs don't live forever. I have thought and thought of what I want my next breed to be, and I keep coming back to, Sheltie. I'd like to get a puppy so Gracie can help teach him his business. You know, apprentice him to the job of protecting the chickens. With my help, of course. I figure it will take a couple of years. Surely I'll have her that long at least, right? Surely. ... but in the meantime, does anyone know of any reputable breeders of Shelties that won't charge me two arms and a leg for a pet quality pup, someone that is not a puppy mill? I don't have a problem with a so-called "backyard breeder" if they only have one pet dog themselves they have bred and are raising puppies in the house with the family, that's cool. I want a well-socialized pup, after all. Anyone kmow where i might find a seller of such a puppy? Thanks.

I feel your pain. I lost my dear sheltie boy from a tumor that was supposed to be benign at age 11. Sniff.

I'm waaaay over here in Oregon, so this probably won't help, but I got him from Kensil's Shelties. Sylvia Calderwood has been breeding top quality shelties for years, but I got my beloved Scottie from her for a reasonable price (about $400 back 15 years ago...so I'm sure more now). He was going to be show quality, but then he grew too big. He was the sweetest, bestest dog ever.

http://www.kensilsshelties.com/index.html

Hopefully you can find something much closer to home.

LofMc

I loved my sheltie so much, I don't know if I'll get another, he's a hard act to follow. He was a backyard bred dog, and he was not healthy, but he had the best temperament. Gracie's tumor sounds like a lipoma. Ask your vet to do a needle aspirate to be sure, and put your mind at ease. Get a puppy anyway. "Sheltie math" enabler here, :oops:

I loved my sheltie so much, I don't know if I'll get another, he's a hard act to follow. He was a backyard bred dog, and he was not healthy, but he had the best temperament. Gracie's tumor sounds like a lipoma. Ask your vet to do a needle aspirate to be sure, and put your mind at ease. Get a puppy anyway. "Sheltie math" enabler here, :oops:

Thanks, @townchicks
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's "just" a lipoma, but the size and location are concerning. Vet says it could interfere with her organs. Not looking forward to surgery at her age although she is otherwise in good health. Wish us luck!

I feel your pain. I lost my dear sheltie boy from a tumor that was supposed to be benign at age 11. Sniff.

I'm waaaay over here in Oregon, so this probably won't help, but I got him from Kensil's Shelties. Sylvia Calderwood has been breeding top quality shelties for years, but I got my beloved Scottie from her for a reasonable price (about $400 back 15 years ago...so I'm sure more now). He was going to be show quality, but then he grew too big. He was the sweetest, bestest dog ever.

http://www.kensilsshelties.com/index.html

Hopefully you can find something much closer to home.

LofMc

Thanks, @Lady of McCamley ! I paid $400 for Gracie from a home breeder. When I look on line I see more like $1200, yikes! They do get under your skin, don't they? :love Gracie makes me crazy in lots of ways and is an annoying barker, but man, I could not have chickens without her. I just can't think of another breed that would do as well for our needs. Thanks for the suggestion, it won't hurt to ask and see what shipping costs might be, or if they can recommend another breeder.

Back
Top Bottom