Looking for a spinner, to take raw alpaca fiber and turn it into yarn

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by fdnick, Nov 19, 2008.

1. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    we have a mess of alpacas, with the alpacas comes the fiber [​IMG].. I know nothing about raw fiber, anyone here want to turn my fiber into yarn for cash or keep part of the fiber??
    Thanks..
    Denna

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I would LOVE to...

You just need to tell me what type yarn you prefer to work with and ship it up to me! I have an Ashford Scholar Mark 11 and Slocrev sent me some awesome alpaca wool I'm mixing w/muskox quivit I picked off the tundra...

I can post a pic of the latest yarn I just made a small amount of and am totally in love with, its white merino one ply made into 2 ply with bead/eyelash...the merino is natural white and the beads/eyelash are brown and purple.

Of course your lama wool would be a darker color I'm assuming... and my favorite yarn is like an Icelandic lopi or worsted weight, the Icelandic is one ply, larger diameter so you use at least size 8 knitting needles or a J or K hook for crochet. The worsted weight is two ply and ... and... and... Can you tell I'm excited???

After work I'll post pic of the awesome yarn I made recently...

Tell me what kind of yarn you like and what you like to make w/it so I'll get a good idea...

Sport weight is very thin diameter and takes smaller needles/hooks and takes longer IMO to work up so its not a favorite of mine to work w/but I do knit quiviut items that are 80% quiviut/20% silk.

I can also post pics of items I've knitted w/the types of yarn:)

I haven't got the sweater pics today but here are a few pics for now. BTW, the "fancy" yarn I just made is a "thick n thin" or combination of sport weight with worsted weight "flub's" to give texture and I plan to make a nice scarf for my youngest daughter for Christmas out of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a hat I made out of Icelandic Lopi (there is also another Lopi like sport weight) the one ply thicker yarn:
    [​IMG]
    I also made the same hat pattern in sea spray green with pink and light grey (Icelandic patterns traditionally use only three colors but I like to add a small amount of a fourth color- no pic of that one, I gave it away.

Here's an example of blue/grey thinner yarn, more like a sport weight but a tiny bit thicker:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

P.S. I love horses, too, cry when I watch horse racing and remember Secretariat racing.
    (Guess its time to dust again, w/so many dogs in the house, chicks and a monitor heater its dusting day every day but I just don't have the time every day...when I was younger w/babes my house was so clean it was boring!)

Ooops, forgot the worsted weight yarn sample in crotchet, its a blanket in the making for my first grandbaby/grandson:
    [​IMG]
    He comes w/a 7 yr old sister who's getting one in pink/purple and my eldest son also has a dog that will get his own blanket in grey/white/black and red (pitbull named Ruckus).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by