looking for a state with cheap housing and farmland

Thats true steve.....you can afford what you want. It would make sense though, anything that you dont spend will help your cause. The other thing, alot of people who think they are rich....are known to throw the money around too easily and before they know it...ooooppppsss....its gone. So its probably good that you are being careful and waiting to make a wise choice/decision. Keep me in mind if/when you find this perfect chicken loving farm area in the warmer climate......thats what we are looking for too. I cant believe how difficult it is. It seems like EVERYTHING....EVERYWHERE....is being over populated with fancy new houses that are 3 feet apart and look exactly alike
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah the only good parts of NC left are WAY out away from the cities. NC is getting swallowed up, Raleigh is the worst! Overcrowding is taking away our animal's natural environment AND the worst part is...Wake County is probably going to run out of water in about 90 days.

This is not a negative post, I'm just trying to help you. If you choose to come to NC go out where there's very few people. Land is getting expensive where I am. I hope to move to more land in the distant future, that is IF there's any left.
sad.png

I will agree with Purple Chicken, West Virginia is BEAUTIFUL. And it's very cheap to live there. And don't believe everything you hear about inbred rednecks
roll.png
, the nicest folks I've ever known were from West Virginia. I love to go there to visit. Camp in the mountains...heaven!

Last edited:
Super congrats on getting that kind of security. (I didn't understand how the actual dollar amount got in there...1.7 mil??)

You indicated that you are not looking now...do I understand that your father is still living? I'm sorry, I got confused as to what the actual situation is. Do you need to find a place soon, not soon, do you have this money, not have it?

Things to think of (there are so darn many) are encroaching city versus need for urban facilities. Or, put another way, how far away do you want to be from the nearest hospital/supermarket/theatre/restaurant, etc.? Will those things be coming to you unwanted by suburban sprawl?

I love my chickens. But I really love my privacy. My DH really loves that he can direct plays only driving 1/2 hour.

What are you looking for besides chicken friendly? Town? Good restaurants? Near an airport (frequent traveller)? Hunting? Pagan rituals?

Again, dang, way way congrats!!!!
smile.png

My father is still living. Its towards the future. I was in raleigh 2 weeks ago. My ex lives in the lumberton/pembroke area. I am just planning right now. I dont like wasting money and I love doing research before I make a jump on my decision. I want to be far away but not to far away. I would not mind being an hour away from the city. I want to have alot of animals on my farm. I am a huge horse fanatic. I would also love to have a few emu's and peacocks but I dont want those neighbors that complain about every little thing

Well, can't really help you but anywhere near a city is not a good place. Don't forget that if you have a large piece of property, you have to pay taxes on it and maintain it all... 7 acres here... Taxes are more than 20K per year... Figure in cost of maintenance and whither or not there are jobs in the area that you can do to support it.

Where we live in Kansas (central) isn't cheap anymore....dryland farm ground is selling for right under $2000/acre and sometimes more. Even pasture is well over $1000/acre. In the western part of the state it's cheaper, but even there the price has risen sharply in the past few years.

I should add this is in a rural area and not near any of the bigger towns and cities....there it's even higher.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom