Looking for advice on a little runt chicken

Definitely a worst case scenario but I hadn’t found that article or the emergency one posted in that thread and they both had good info in them, so thanks! She’s about 16 weeks at this point, but I will continue to keep a close eye on any body or behaviour changes.
I dont think that will happen, I was thinking maybe a little protein will benefit her.

Chicken size varies among chickens of a given breed, and it can produce noticeable size anomalies. As long as a runty chicken is behaving normally, no signs of physical distress, normal appetite, there isn't much to worry about.

Small chickens in their first year often catch up by age two, filling out and losing the noticeable size discrepancy. As egg layers, their eggs can be the same size or even larger than larger hens of the same breed.

If this is a failure-to-thrive chicken, you would be noticing physical issues such as crop disorders, lethargy, and a noticeable physical behavior such as droopy wings held away from the body and a fluffed appearance.

Chicken size varies among chickens of a given breed, and it can produce noticeable size anomalies. As long as a runty chicken is behaving normally, no signs of physical distress, normal appetite, there isn't much to worry about.

Small chickens in their first year often catch up by age two, filling out and losing the noticeable size discrepancy. As egg layers, their eggs can be the same size or even larger than larger hens of the same breed.

If this is a failure-to-thrive chicken, you would be noticing physical issues such as crop disorders, lethargy, and a noticeable physical behavior such as droopy wings held away from the body and a fluffed appearance.
Thanks for the info! She hasn’t has any crop issues or personality changes. The only time I’ve noticed her fluffing up and dropping her wing is if she’s bathing (in warm light or dirt), so hopefully all is well and she’s just small then. I will continue to monitor, but will try to worry less.

If it were to be failure to thrive, is there anything you can do to circumvent it?

Thanks for the info! She hasn’t has any crop issues or personality changes. The only time I’ve noticed her fluffing up and dropping her wing is if she’s bathing (in warm light or dirt), so hopefully all is well and she’s just small then. I will continue to monitor, but will try to worry less.

If it were to be failure to thrive, is there anything you can do to circumvent it?
I’d it’s a dirt bath or sunbathing then she’s fine.

A failure-to-thrive chick usually manifests serious genetic defects early on. By the time the FTT chick is eight weeks old, its cell growth has been curtailed severely by underdeveloped organs, a digestive system that is too immature to efficiently process calories and nutrients, and physical failure of its underdeveloped system is manifesting in physical problems that are impossible to notice such as the innability to keep warm. Such chicks rarely survive beyond ten weeks.

Even identifying FTTs early on and giving them special feedings of high protein and vitamins more often than not fails. If these chicks do survive into adulthood, they aren't thrifty and optimal survivors, and sometimes they get picked off by predators for just this reason. In short, they have everything going against them.

But it sounds like your little pullet will be a normal chicken, just on the petite size.

I have an 18 week old runt. I got her at 1 day old. She is half the size of her brothers, but shows no signs of any physical problems. I still worry but she eats fine, looks great, and she's spunky as all get out. I'm hoping the only issue is that she's simply little!

I have an 18 week old runt. I got her at 1 day old. She is half the size of her brothers, but shows no signs of any physical problems. I still worry but she eats fine, looks great, and she's spunky as all get out. I'm hoping the only issue is that she's simply little!
Then follow along in this thread.❤️

It’s just hard not to worry when they’re that small, eh? Hopefully both our runts live long spunky lives 🤗

Back
Top Bottom