1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for advice please...pic included

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by annie3001, Sep 17, 2012.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG]

below is a dead baby chic i found in with the broody chic. very sad, as this would have been her first time being a mom. shes a great girl about 4 years old.
    Anyways, question is about how much longer do you think this chic had, before she could have made it out alive?? i dont know what happened. all i know is i found this chic along with the other eggs. i neglected to mark on my calendar, how long shes been laying on the eggs. but i did x them out so i knew that much. i was very surprised just to see this.
    any info is appriciated.

andrea-

2. oegbantamsftw

oegbantamsftw Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    I feel sorry for your loss it seems as it started producing feathers and incubation last 21 days. Another 7 or 6 days the chic would have made it

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    oh, even more sadder now.... but i checked her, and shes actually sitting on 6 eggs!!!

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    oh man, i just found another dead baby chick. wth is going on ?? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I had a similar problem recently - they all wanted the same nest box and they ended up breaking eggs that were developing under the broody during the dispute. But all I had for evidence were a few scraps of shells - they ate the rest. But they weren't as far along as that little guy/gal.

I ended up moving the last two to the incubator, - one didn't make it - it must have gotten kicked around too much - it was pretty liquidy and there were no veins left when I candled them. The other is having hatching problems right now, but that is another sad story.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i have 6 other full grown adult hens, and 4 ducks, and 7 other teenager chickens in another coop. they are not bothering the broody hen and her eggs. i just cant figure out why this is happening. could she be crushing them her self with her body? i only noticed it because i was going to candle an egg, and i lifted her up and saw the dead baby chic. sooo sad tho.

andrea

7. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Hmmm, that was the only thing I could think of. [​IMG].

I hope the rest make it OK !

8. barnyardmommy

barnyardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Suffolk VA
    I had a broody hen sitting on eggs, and I had the same thing happen. She was crushing the eggs under her. After the third dead chick, I ended up putting the eggs in the incubator. One of the chicks I found crushed under her in the nest, the other two she crushed, then pushed them out of the nest . [​IMG] Good luck with the remaining eggs.

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    too bad i sold my incubator last year, i would take all the eggs now..... i was thinking, since they've come so far in growth, i wonder if i can take them and keep them in a cage in my house with a heat lamp? just thinking,,,, not sure i will do this tho.... sigh....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by