Looking for advice please...pic included

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.

below is a dead baby chic i found in with the broody chic. very sad, as this would have been her first time being a mom. shes a great girl about 4 years old.
Anyways, question is about how much longer do you think this chic had, before she could have made it out alive?? i dont know what happened. all i know is i found this chic along with the other eggs. i neglected to mark on my calendar, how long shes been laying on the eggs. but i did x them out so i knew that much. i was very surprised just to see this.
any info is appriciated.

andrea-

I feel sorry for your loss it seems as it started producing feathers and incubation last 21 days. Another 7 or 6 days the chic would have made it

oh man, i just found another dead baby chick. wth is going on ??
barnie.gif

hit.gif

I had a similar problem recently - they all wanted the same nest box and they ended up breaking eggs that were developing under the broody during the dispute. But all I had for evidence were a few scraps of shells - they ate the rest. But they weren't as far along as that little guy/gal.

I ended up moving the last two to the incubator, - one didn't make it - it must have gotten kicked around too much - it was pretty liquidy and there were no veins left when I candled them. The other is having hatching problems right now, but that is another sad story.

Last edited:
i have 6 other full grown adult hens, and 4 ducks, and 7 other teenager chickens in another coop. they are not bothering the broody hen and her eggs. i just cant figure out why this is happening. could she be crushing them her self with her body? i only noticed it because i was going to candle an egg, and i lifted her up and saw the dead baby chic. sooo sad tho.

andrea

I had a broody hen sitting on eggs, and I had the same thing happen. She was crushing the eggs under her. After the third dead chick, I ended up putting the eggs in the incubator. One of the chicks I found crushed under her in the nest, the other two she crushed, then pushed them out of the nest .
sad.png
Good luck with the remaining eggs.

too bad i sold my incubator last year, i would take all the eggs now..... i was thinking, since they've come so far in growth, i wonder if i can take them and keep them in a cage in my house with a heat lamp? just thinking,,,, not sure i will do this tho.... sigh....

Back
Top Bottom