Looking for advice regarding mites and lice

HarryF1

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2018
Hi there

I have a few chickens and unfortunately their coop is infested with mites and they also have lice. I have washed them and powered them afterwards which seems to have eliminated the lice problem, but I need some advice regarding the mites that's in the coup. Is it ok to apply any insecticide to the coup, like something that I could buy from a supermarket, or does it have to be a product specific for chickens? I'd appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks for your time

I use dichotomous earth. DE. I think that's what you need to spread in your nest boxes and coop. I'm sure more chicken knowledgeable folks will pipe in..
I've used DE, problem is that a few days later I noticed that the mites were actually on the ceiling, but they were all grey which I guess is a good sign as it indicates they hadn't fed on the chickens.

Get a product containing permethrin, any feed or livestock store will have it. Many are concentrated and you will mix to the correct percentage, instructions will be on the label. Picture of one brand below.
Remove all bedding/nesting material and spray the entire coop, and put in new bedding. You will have to do this at least three times at 7 day intervals to get the mites that continue to hatch. You also need to retreat the birds the same way. I would love to tell you that DE works, but it does not.
Here is more info: https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
2212611.jpg

Depending on where you are, you can purchase a product called Doktor Doom Residual Spray. It contains .5% permethrin spray. You spray it in cracks and crevices, all their perches and any area they come in regular contact like walls where they dust bathe. The good thing is it lasts for 2 months. So as you treat the chickens you don't need to spray the coop again.

DE never worked for me but you can dust the ground in their coop. I'd also get a dusting powder like carbaryl or permethrin, for your chickens and dust them, as well as give them ivermectin. My vet says ivermectin works on lice and mites and so far he's been right. My second and last treatment is tomorrow, but already they look perkier. For those with very dirty bottoms I caught them and pulled the very infested feathers out as a precaution.

Good luck, it's really annoying.

I love DE but..... when you have a infestation you have a serious problem. You need to break the cycle of repoduction or your just wasting time and money. Coach gave you great advice and a good product to use. I use DE for maintenance basically but anyone with a true infestation knows it only slows the cycle never completely irradiates it. It takes more than one time to Treat this type of problem.

Back
Top Bottom