Looking for Advise about hen pecked hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Scoot58, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Scoot58

Scoot58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Carver MA
    Hi.
    I just took in a RIR hen that was being relentlessly pecked by the other hens she was with. She is alone now in our coop. We also have 6, 3 week old black sex link chicks. Her bottom is very red and irritated looking. What can I do to help her heal and avoid infection? Any advise would be much appreciated. I have not had chickens since I was a child.

Thank You

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I would separate her for a while to let the feathers grow back. That red, irritated skin is too tempting for them to leave alone.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can use neosporin on it too to help speed the healing. She needs to stay seperated until she is at least on the mend.

4. Scoot58

Scoot58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Carver MA
    She will be alone for at least a few more weeks. The chicks are to little to be out and about. She did great today. Loved my kids left over peanut butter sandwiches. She seems to like her new yard.

Thank you for your advise.

5. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    You could also try some blue kote, which is an antiseptic. But, to warn you, it does permanently stain purple.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by