Looking for advise on "winterizing" my set up

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
I live in the suburbs of Chicago and the winters here can be very cold sometimes. I basically have 2 options. 1: winterize this set up (no electricity) or 2: take a section of my shed and let them stay in there (has electric). I have 5 chickens in a sentinal coop from TSC and a 6x10 cage over it for extra walking room while we're home. I thought of covering the entire sentinel coops smaller run in plywood to essentially create a bigger coop, and covering the 6x10 cage with greenhouse plastic, leaving a foot of ventilation at the top.

*Their set up has been improved since this photo with putting the larger cage on 4x4s, mesh underneath and aprons, and 4" of mulch. This picture was taken earlier this year.*

Attachments

• 20230626_195659.jpg
    20230626_195659.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
Shed might be a much better option.
How big is it and is there any ventilation?

That run frame will not hold up to much snow load.

suburbs of Chicago
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1696336639523.png

Shed might be a much better option.
How big is it and is there any ventilation?

That run frame will not hold up to much snow load.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3650895
The shed is very big and has 1 vent near the top id need to install another one opposite of it to create some cross ventilation. The metal run is surprisingly sturdy attached to 2x4s and has 1/2" galvanized wire mesh on all sides including the top which just happens to have a tarp over it to keep rain off.

I presume you have cold-hardy breeds? If so, that makes things easier. There are two main aspects to winterizing: keeping water available and blocking wind/snow.

The easiest way to handle water is to have electric run out to your coop area and get a heated waterer. There are multiple forms of electrical heating solutions including a heater base, immersion heater and self-heated bucket. These specific ones are examples, not recommendations. Look for something that is plastic-safe and has a built-in thermostat to minimize electrical use. I've seen other solutions mentioned on BYC, but none that I was really impressed with.

The second aspect is winterizing the coop/run. Cold-hardy chickens can actually handle our temperatures. The biggest problem is wind and particularly with rain/snow. What I do is use clear plastic drop sheets to cover three sides of their setup where the weather might get in. This gives them plenty of ventilation and light, a view outside and protects them from the wind/rain/snow. Looks like you already have the roof covered. This is the cheapest/easiest solution, though you can invest considerably more if you wish.

I presume you have cold-hardy breeds? If so, that makes things easier. There are two main aspects to winterizing: keeping water available and blocking wind/snow.

The easiest way to handle water is to have electric run out to your coop area and get a heated waterer. There are multiple forms of electrical heating solutions including a heater base, immersion heater and self-heated bucket. These specific ones are examples, not recommendations. Look for something that is plastic-safe and has a built-in thermostat to minimize electrical use. I've seen other solutions mentioned on BYC, but none that I was really impressed with.

The second aspect is winterizing the coop/run. Cold-hardy chickens can actually handle our temperatures. The biggest problem is wind and particularly with rain/snow. What I do is use clear plastic drop sheets to cover three sides of their setup where the weather might get in. This gives them plenty of ventilation and light, a view outside and protects them from the wind/rain/snow. Looks like you already have the roof covered. This is the cheapest/easiest solution, though you can invest considerably more if you wish.
I have rhode island reds which I got specifically because they're supposed to be cold hardy. It sounds like what you do is what I have in mind. I'll have to run an extension cable out to the coop which I don't like very much. What do you use in terms of heated bowls??

I have rhode island reds which I got specifically because they're supposed to be cold hardy. It sounds like what you do is what I have in mind. I'll have to run an extension cable out to the coop which I don't like very much.

Yes, RHRs are cold-hardy.

I understand about the extension cable. Here is a discussion on non-electrical water solutions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...electricity-all-options-on-the-table.1555548/

BTW- Aart is right on both items. The shed is a very good alternative if you want to go there. And please put your general location in your profile to make it easier for people to answer region-related questions in the future.

What do you use in terms of heated bowls??
I built something very similar to the self-heated bucket that I linked above. I started with this bucket, added horizontal nipples and a lid which makes it very similar to the one that is on Amazon. My only improvement is that I wrapped insulation around it to minimize heat loss.

Back
Top Bottom