Winter water, no electricity, all options on the table

Badchickenpun

Songster
May 9, 2022
Central Indiana
Is there one thread or article on here with every non-electric watering option for chickens in winter?
1. Frequent water changing
2. Ping pong balls (wind needed)
3. Mini greenhouse to concentrate solar
4. Hot rocks or microwavable heating pad under water dish
5. Salt water-water bottles in waterer
6. Straw bale cave

Please add more to the list or discuss your experiences with any of the above.

I have a metal dog water bowl that I use (if I'm not using a heated dog water bowl). When it does freeze, I just toss it upside down on the ground to break the ice out, rinse, and refill. It gets checked and changed out several times per day as needed. This is easier for me since I can easily bring the bowl inside.

I just can't deal with the galvanized waterers (my usual choice) in the winter because the two halves freeze together. I either have to run in and out of the house to get warm water to pour on them to break the sides apart or I end up having to bring the whole (usually icy and muddy) waterer in the house which is not ideal.

Ping pong balls and the salt water/water bottles trick doesn't work, at least not up here in the Great White North.

I know this isn't what you asked, there probably is a thread about it (or ten, or one hundred), but thought I'd share my experiences. I just give them fresh water twice a day, dumping the frozen stuff when I refill (if there's any left).

Ping pong balls and the salt water/water bottles trick doesn't work, at least not up here in the Great White North.

Yeah, I'm sure it might work for some people but I'm quite certain that if I did attempt the ping pong ball method, I would probably come back out to a few ping pong balls frozen in ice. 😂

I know this isn't what you asked, there probably is a thread about it (or ten, or one hundred), but thought I'd share my experiences. I just give them fresh water twice a day, dumping the frozen stuff when I refill (if there's any left).
Most of the other threads go off track and discuss options with electricity... or fixate on one option... I would love the hear about everyone's go-to...

Can you add insulated waterer to your list? It turned out to be my solution for the vast majority of the time. Three quart capacity stays drinkable down into the teens(F) for up to about 12 hours. With the simple open top bucket version.

I think it could be colder/longer if I made it more complicated - even just an insulation board box to set it on. It is currently set on s cement block.

Styrofoam cooler packed with straw or insulation. Water dish inside that bad boy. Will slow down the freezing. You could even place hot rocks or microwave heating pad inside for more warmth.
I saw a post where a woman bought battery operated water toys that have little flippers that move the toy around. It kept the water moving enough to not freeze. This was in a bigger water trough, not sure if it would work for chickens. I kind of want to try it myself. 🤷‍♀️

We keep a 55 gallon barrel of water for the chickens that we keep on the east side of the house. It freezes at night but if it gets to the mid 30s with sun it melts no problem. I keep 15/20 gallons in individual jugs under the house too in case it stays too cold to melt. I give them water in big black rubber bowls in two places, outside in the open as well as in the barn with the goats, It's only been in the high teens and twenty so far this year and the body heat from my goats keeps the water from freezing in the barn, I just dump the ice from the other waterer and refill a few times a day. We have a spring as well if they get thirsty they can hike lol

Back
Top Bottom