looking for barnevelders

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
I might be looking for some barnevelders next spring.I've been reading about how hard it is to find good quality birds with #4 or better color eggs. Anyone know where I might be able to find some or hatching eggs in the spring or am I looking for a needle in a haystack?

I will have my first Barnvelder eggs this spring. I won't know until then how dark the eggs are going to be but I can put you on my contact list and let you know how dark they are when they have been laying a couple of weeks. I hope they are nice and dark. Time will tell because I bought mine as chicks. I never saw the eggs they came from.
smile.png

I would like to get on your list also unless I get some in the next couple of months. I am looking for some right now but if I don't get any soon I will be getting some in the spring.

Jayare

I have you all three on my list
smile.png
, key west chick, amazon doc and Jayare's Ckicks. I am crossing my fingers that the eggs are nce and dark.
I am in Buchanan, GA.

I keep reading in different books that Barnevelders that lay the darkest eggs are poor layers. Hens that lay lighter colored eggs lay more. So in general if you get a hatchery chick, they are bred for egg laying ability not shell color. Just what I have read from multiple sources. FYI

You are quite right, Jarhead. This is true because it requires that the egg stay in the oviduct for a longer length of time to become dark, therefore less eggs. My hope is that I have hens that are about mid streem, say around a 4 which is respectable in color but also means you will get a reasonable production rate. The eggs will of course get lighter as the laying cycle progresses due to stretching of the oviduct which allows the egg to pass through more quickly
smile.png

While I'm at it, I just thought I'd mention that I will have BBS Orpington, BLRW, French BC Marans, French Silver Cuckoo Marans and Welsummer eggs available in spring as well. If anyone is interested in any of those just PM me and don't clutter up Key West Chick's thread please. Thanks
smile.png

I just want to add another color to my eggs. Some green, light brown, med brown & dark brown. A virtual rainbow of colors. All those different colors look so cool setting in the bowl each day until the end of the day when I try to alternate them in the egg carton when I put them in one.
I may just have to build another coop and get some aurcaunas so I could have some blue eggs in the cartons also.
Does anybody else arrange the different colored eggs in a carton or do you just put them in there however they go in?

Jayare

Back
Top Bottom