Looking for beautiful Breeds

Pics
I have Wyandottes - they are really pretty and such good company.
View attachment 2367117 DFF4FE5E-2ADD-4512-8117-2A996E2D72BF.jpeg 2B5C3564-E1A5-48E6-891C-F01B3DCA9373.jpeg

I would suggest Cochins. So far all mine have been great in heat and cold, but it definitely doesn’t get as hot as AZ here...
I am partial to Cochins, I have bantams and they're like little old ladies, lol. SO fluffy!! My mottled cochin is my favorite.
20201006_150444.jpg
20201006_150518.jpg
Crosses can produce some stunning birds - here is a bantam Silver-Laced Wyandotte x Speckled Sussex and a Mille Fleur x Speckled Sussex.

I’m in Az

I say Buckeyes fit the bill perfectly....bred cold hardy but do extremely well in hot and dry.

also Welsummer, Turken, and Ayams

Cochins are my favorite. For beauty and quirkiness brabanter, spitzhauben, and Sicilian buttercup! Personality plus!! My buttercup was so affectionate and sweet. Brabanter are always wanting to “help” and I always found them and the spitz on roof of coop. Love them too

Might be harder to find, but you can order eggs online........Pavlovskayas are gorgeous! Super mellow, cold and heat tolerant, white egg layer. Very nice breed, planning on hatching some more this spring. Crevecoeurs are cool chickens too and would work for where you're going (also a threatened heritage breed).

I bought some Sicilian Buttercup hens. Beautiful coloring. Endangered list I think. There are both bantam and standard. I love them!! So pretty. Eggs are small. Mine are supposed to be standard birds but they are little.

I'm trying to think of different breeds I want to get. I don't want just 'normal' birds (leghorns, orpingtons or australorps, normal birds like that.)

Wishlist:
-Heat tolerant! I'll be living in AZ in a few years and I can't have the A.c. in their barn XD
- cold tolerant too because we will be in the part if the state that gets a little below freezing at its coldest
-Broody wouldn't hurt, love my phoenixes going brood and just increasing themselves without my help
- Pretty. I want beautiful birds, with variety in colors and 'extras
Check out the Lakeshore Eggers from Meyer Hatchery. I haven't seen them offerred anywhere else. I got three and they are all different colors, but all beautiful. They are a cross between an Easter Egger and whatever else in the yard. Supposed to be heat and cold tolerant, friendly personalities and great egg layers of large eggs. Mine are 4 weeks old now and next week will go out into the "baby barn" outside.

Attachments

• Bonnie 3 wks.JPG
    Bonnie 3 wks.JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Deb 3 wks angry bird.JPG
    Deb 3 wks angry bird.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Abigail 3 wks.JPG
    Abigail 3 wks.JPG
    430.3 KB · Views: 1
I love my australorps. They have beautiful big black eyes.. not overly friendly, but they’ve tolerated a week over over 100 degrees, and many months of 90+. Medium brown eggs. They’re just really pretty to see in my 30+ flock.

Back
Top Bottom