Looking for beautiful Breeds

Pics
I'm trying to think of different breeds I want to get. I don't want just 'normal' birds (leghorns, orpingtons or australorps, normal birds like that.)

Wishlist:
-Heat tolerant! I'll be living in AZ in a few years and I can't have the A.c. in their barn XD
- cold tolerant too because we will be in the part if the state that gets a little below freezing at its coldest
-Broody wouldn't hurt, love my phoenixes going brood and just increasing themselves without my help
- Pretty. I want beautiful birds, with variety in colors and 'extras
Hi,. I live in Palm Desert CA, and I've got Salmon Favorelles. They are super friendly, and loveable. Plus
20201009_191039.jpg
, super cute with their fluffy faces and feet and seem to do well in both our super hot summers and the winter. We did put a mist system outside of their coop.

i would
I'm trying to think of different breeds I want to get. I don't want just 'normal' birds (leghorns, orpingtons or australorps, normal birds like that.)

Wishlist:
-Heat tolerant! I'll be living in AZ in a few years and I can't have the A.c. in their barn XD
- cold tolerant too because we will be in the part if the state that gets a little below freezing at its coldest
-Broody wouldn't hurt, love my phoenixes going brood and just increasing themselves without my help
recommend the Ayam
Ayam_cemani.jpg
cemani they are beautiful heat tolerant, and cold hardy

For the love of god don’t get Easter Eggers. We thought it would be cute to have colored eggs but they are the worst and unfriendliest chickens we’ve got in the flock. We’ve got a couple of Plymouth Rocks that are ok, and a couple of Red Sex links (that are like labradors that even come up to say “hi” and seem to like being pet). The Easter eggers are definitely in the egg laying age and they still aren’t paying rent. When we have to catch them (when we CAN actually catch them) they scream and squawk like they are being butchered alive. I hate those damn birds...

I was going to say, I would imagine the ayam would be more heat tolerant than cold since Indonesia is rather tropical. My Sumatra are similar feature wise and do fine in 100+ in MT

For the love of god don’t get Easter Eggers. We thought it would be cute to have colored eggs but they are the worst and unfriendliest chickens we’ve got in the flock. We’ve got a couple of Plymouth Rocks that are ok, and a couple of Red Sex links (that are like labradors that even come up to say “hi” and seem to like being pet). The Easter eggers are definitely in the egg laying age and they still aren’t paying rent. When we have to catch them (when we CAN actually catch them) they scream and squawk like they are being butchered alive. I hate those damn birds...
I've actually had good experience with EEs, but I've raised mine to be friendlier. Haven't gotten them old enough to lay eggs yet though

Asking for suggestions will get you as many opinions as there are breeds! You have Phoenix? I can't think of anything more special than those!

There's hundreds of breeds with multiple permutations. Personally, I prefer 1)colored eggs and 2)heritage breeds. I don't have the room or the money to get everything I like as I like most of them! I had an odd looking pullet in my spring order. She's an olive Eggers if her legs are anything to go by. Plus she has a beard. I have no idea what her pedigree is, I'm guessing she's crossed with everything. The hatchery calls them 'Prairie Bluebells' and claims no two are alike.

I have a Japanese White Black Tailed Bantam Rooster. Squeaky is unique and I may start a flock of just them.

I have a Silkie Grey Rooster who is just... hilarious? Is a good word. How he can see is beyond me, so I trim just enough to see his eyes.

I've had both silver black laced and gold laced Wyandotte and they were spectacular, particularly the gold.

There's a unique bird called the Iowa Blue. To my knowledge, the only place you can get them(and its straight run only) is in Decorah, Iowa. They are on the top of my wish list.

Also top of my list is almost anything frizzled!

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

Attachments

• 20200915_164251.jpg
    20200915_164251.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200915_164248.jpg
    20200915_164248.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200915_164226.jpg
    20200915_164226.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Wishlist:
I love my lavender splash orphingtons. Just stunning birds. I do have a blue lace Wyandotte rooster. They are interesting. The hens are more blue and if you get the blue based roosters the color isn't as vibrant on the contrast blue lace and red. You want the red in your rooster because the red makes the blue lace pop vibrant blue.
My lavender splash has red, purple and dark colors in his wings. I posted his photo. Gorgeous roo.

I have some Japanese hens. Same color variety as your male and as crazy as cluck. I also am keeping my Phoenixes as long as possible, and will try to take my eggs with me to continue their line if I can't bring at least a trio with me.

Cream Legbars. They have big combs so are good for warm climates. I have them in Upstate NY, so they are cold tolerant as well. My roo did get frostbite on his comb a couple years ago when we had a polar vortex.

I love my lavender splash orpingtons. Just stunning birds. I do have a blue lace Wyandotte rooster. They are interesting. The hens are more blue and if you get the blue based roosters the color isn't as vibrant on the contrast blue lace and red. You want the red in your rooster because the red makes the blue lace pop vibrant blue.
My lavender splash has red, purple and dark colors in his wings. I posted his photo. Gorgeous roo.
Wanted to add on the lavender splash...their eggs are a beautiful pink color. Easy to tell who is who, and I do understand that you can use another cross to the blue orpington on the lavender splash.

Back
Top Bottom