Looking for beautiful Breeds

Pics
I would definitely recommend Cream Legbars. They are so beautiful, and tolerate Illinois heat well. Haven’t wintered them yet as mine are just pullets, but I see no reason why they won’t do well. Please check them out, I think you will agree they are stunning!

I'm trying to think of different breeds I want to get. I don't want just 'normal' birds (leghorns, orpingtons or australorps, normal birds like that.)

Wishlist:
-Heat tolerant! I'll be living in AZ in a few years and I can't have the A.c. in their barn XD
- cold tolerant too because we will be in the part if the state that gets a little below freezing at its coldest
-Broody wouldn't hurt, love my phoenixes going brood and just increasing themselves without my help
- Pretty. I want beautiful birds, with variety in colors and 'extras
Maybe check out Wyandotte chickens, they come in so many beautiful colors, lay brown eggs and are healthy.

Attachments

• 8517DCF5-3380-4A12-95BF-29D5D49BFCA4.jpeg
    8517DCF5-3380-4A12-95BF-29D5D49BFCA4.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 3
When I was over in Reno this spring, someone on Craigslist was advertising a new heat/cold tolerant breed — the desert-(something). I think it was desert orchid. Pretty sure it was some kind of flower name. Didnt pay much attention at the time because nobody wants to carry a batch of hens 4+ hours in the car. But as I recall they were a colorful variegated breed like a Mille fleur.

Anybody heard of this?
Swedish flower?

Swedish flower?

No, but that was what made it stick in my head. These were alleged to be heat tolerant vs. the SFH cold tolerance. (We have SF already). But that they also had a floral name. My family even had a silly conversation about whether the crosses would be “desert flower hens”, super chicken that could live in any climate.

I absolutely loooove my buff-laced polish hen. She is funny, loves people, unique, quirky and just an all-around perfect chicken. She only lays a couple eggs/week but she is always the first bird to come hang out with me. The other is a bantam Cochin and Silkie.... lovely sweet little birds. I live in GA, hot in summer, cold in winter. With shade and good shelter from the wind, they all do great!

Attachments

• 18739EEA-B291-41B1-B8E5-96777EBF0E58.jpeg
    18739EEA-B291-41B1-B8E5-96777EBF0E58.jpeg
    690.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 61126EA9-0F70-40AC-87B4-84E4C093EE77.jpeg
    61126EA9-0F70-40AC-87B4-84E4C093EE77.jpeg
    767.9 KB · Views: 4
I'm trying to think of different breeds I want to get. I don't want just 'normal' birds (leghorns, orpingtons or australorps, normal birds like that.)

Wishlist:
-Heat tolerant! I'll be living in AZ in a few years and I can't have the A.c. in their barn XD
- cold tolerant too because we will be in the part if the state that gets a little below freezing at its coldest
-Broody wouldn't hurt, love my phoenixes going brood and just increasing themselves without my help
Go to the livestock conservancy website. I was looking for endangered or recovering breeds and now I keep Mottled Javas.

Wishlist:
just a caveat, though, to do your breed research....we got a golden wyandotte because of her gorgeous coloring and raised her from a pullet, but she turned out to be hell on wheels and bullied our other hens unmercifully....'finally gave her back to the farm we got her from and restored peace to the flock....:)

Wishlist:
Speckled Sussex is a beautiful breed.

Back
Top Bottom