Looking for Buff Orpingtons near Stafford/Fredericksburg, VA

John2510

Chirping
Apr 14, 2019
Stafford, Virginia
I've been researching chickens for two years and moved into a house in Stafford VA (near Fredericksburg - off I-95) that has a chicken coop.

I want to get started with Buff Orpingtons. I would rather not mail order or take my chances with finding them at Tractor Supply.

Anyone know a breeder (formal or otherwise) within driving distance?

Thanks.

Why aren’t you interested in either of the two options you said you won’t do? What’s worrying you?

Check Craigslist
1. I don't want to arrive at the post office to a box of tortured and/or dead chicks.

2. I don't want to drive a half hour to find that Tractor Supply doesn't have the chicks I want.

I'm not worried. I'm just not going to do it.

1. I don't want to arrive at the post office to a box of tortured and/or dead chicks.

2. I don't want to drive a half hour to find that Tractor Supply doesn't have the chicks I want.

I'm not worried. I'm just not going to do it.
First of all, that should really never happen. Most and nearly all of us who have ever ordered from a hatchery have had pretty great success. I’ve ordered at least 25 birds in 5 different orders that were all alive and well. I have never lost a single bird during or after transport, but that isn’t to say it can’t happen.

Call them. Ask.

Check Loudonberry Farm near Leesburg, I think they have Buff Orpingtons. I've been very happy with the 4 hens I got there last year. I wish I had room for some Buff Orpingtons!
I found their website. They look great! They're about 1.5 hours from me, but a pretty drive.

They have Buff Orpingtons, as well as many other varieties, available later this month. I'll probably put in an order later today and plan to drive up there to pick them up.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Check Loudonberry Farm near Leesburg, I think they have Buff Orpingtons. I've been very happy with the 4 hens I got there last year. I wish I had room for some Buff Orpingtons!
BTW, I got my chicks there a few weeks ago, and they're doing well. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

It was a two hour drive, but worth it for the selection. Tractor Supply seems only reliable if you don't care/know much about breeds.

I'm starting our with 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Ameraucanas and 2 Marans/Barred Rock crosses.

I'm building my coop now (almost under roof), and pressed to have it done by the time my pullets are ready for their big move.

Last edited:
BTW, I got my chicks there a few weeks ago, and they're doing well. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

It was a two hour drive, but worth it for the selection. Tractor Supply seems only reliable if you don't care/know much about breeds.

I'm starting our with 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Ameraucanas and 2 Marans/Barred Rock crosses.

I'm building my coop now (almost under roof), and pressed to have it done by the time my pullets are ready for their big move.
I'm so glad you made it up there, and are happy with your chicks! My four are over a year old now, and laying so many eggs. They've been happy and healthy. Right now they're feasting on cicadas... do you have those down there? Good luck with your coop!

Back
Top Bottom