Looking for certain egg colors...

KenyonFam4

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Does anyone know the best way to get hens that are laying certain colors? I am looking for about 3-4 more hens, I want one that is laying pinkish colored eggs, one thats laying blue eggs, one that is laying dark brown eggs, and possibly one that has speckled eggs. I Have buffs and americaunas right now so I am getting light brown and green eggs. I have a barred rock but she just started laying and her eggs seem very light in color. Anyone now the best way/place to find hens that are laying these colors?

You can go to the breed chart at the top of the page to see what the different breeds lay.

Welsummers have speckled terra cotta eggs. Very pretty.
A true ameraucana will have blue eggs. I suspect that your "ameraucana" is hatchery stock and is actually an easter egger if she's laying green eggs.
Langshan chickens lay an egg with a pink/plum bloom. They are popular in Britain, but I don't know about the USA...
There are several varieties of marans. All lay a wonderfully dark chocolate colored egg if bought from a dedicated breeder. Hatchery marans will probably give a lighter dark brown egg. But still nice eye candy for the egg basket.

Quote:
Those are awesome. Thank you for the info. I couldnt find very many pictures of the Langshan's eggs to see the color of them but I found a couple small ones and they almost looked purple. I have decided that I at least want to get one of the Welsummers and I have found that I really like the black copper marans so now I need to find a breeder that has pullets or someone that actually sexes the day old chicks...I originally picked all my chickens for their looks but now I want to have different egg colors...

I have a feeling that's how I'm going to end up. Right now we have brown layers and a set of 6 EE's that we were told lay blue and green eggs, we will see.

You can also scroll down the egg column on this http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html and see what you like.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom