Looking for Confirmation--Fowl Pox?

Flocksure

Hatching
Mar 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure this is fowl pox, but would like some confirmation from others:

I cannot get your pictures to open. Down in the reply box, there is a mountain scene with a moon in the fifth box over. That is where you can insert a pic.

Where do you live? Is it warm enough to have mosquitoes out right now? It doesn't look like pox, but maybe peck marks from another chicken in those pictures, but I could be wrong. The right eye has foam and is swollen which could be mycoplasma MG possibly. It also could be from a pecking injury. I would clean the eye with saline, and apply some Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel to it twice a day. Look for any nasal drainage, sneezing, gasping, or rattly breathing.

Thanks. I'm in California, so it probably is warm enough for mosquitos--but they are not prevalent this early and are well controlled around my house (no stagnant water, my pond turtles control insects, etc.). Also, this is a newer hen, so I can't speak to the mosquito conditions where she came from, but I doubt the mosquito conditions were much different from here.

I have been cleaning the eye regularly with saline solution, and in fact had just done so before taking these pictures. That may be why it looks "foamy". Every time I clean with saline solution, the eye is a bit better. I don't know where I can get Terramycin from--I'll have to order it online. That's why I wanted confirmation as to what this looks like, first.

No other discharge, no breathing problems, eating and drinking heartily.

Looks like the flock is being aggressive toward her since she is a new member. Only once have I ever removed the "top hen" in the pecking order, and it was because of an incident of this nature. Observe them and see if someone is picking on her constantly. At this point though they all might be because there is something that sticks out and needs to be pecked in their minds.

-IdahoTom

Looks like the flock is being aggressive toward her since she is a new member. Only once have I ever removed the "top hen" in the pecking order, and it was because of an incident of this nature. Observe them and see if someone is picking on her constantly. At this point though they all might be because there is something that sticks out and needs to be pecked in their minds.

-IdahoTom

LOL--if she's just being picked on, I know who's doing it, because I only have one other hen. And she's an orpington, not typically known for such aggression. . .

LOL--if she's just being picked on, I know who's doing it, because I only have one other hen. And she's an orpington, not typically known for such aggression. . .

Very true. My Orpington's are only mean when they are broody hah. Best of luck but I'm sure if it is aggression it'll lessen up. Let us know.

-IdahoTom

Update--this is fowl pox or IB. Hen was much worse today, so I took her to our avian vet. It's either pox or IB--the vet was positive it was not mere injury given the nature of the scabby lumps on her head. So, keep these pictures in mind for future disease identification--they are just a really early indication of the disease. She's on Tylosin and antibiotic eye-drops.
Glad I quarantined her from my other hen early.

Back
Top Bottom