looking for game camera suggestions

keesmom

Free Ranging
12 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
We were looking into getting a game camera to install near our coop. We don't have any current predator problems (knock on wood) but are curious as to how frequently various night critters come through the yard, primarily in the coop area.

I was looking at all the cameras offered by Cabela's and it's not easy to decide which one to get. The reviews don't help. People either love them or hate them, not much middle ground.

So for anyone who has one installed do you have a recommendation? What would be a good, reliable camera?

-Cindy in MA

I use them, but for hunting not around the yard. Get a digital one the is solar powered. That will give you a good photo and you won't have to worry about the batteries going dead. But you are going to spend more than you want. With one predator problems at this time, I wouldn't go to the trouble.

I just purchased a Moultrie i60 two weeks ago. So far it works great! I knew I had a critter chewing on a feed bag that I had sitting near my chicken building. The first night I set it up I got a picture of a possum. We have friends that hunt our land for deer every fall. They have 3 cameras and set them up to see where the big bucks are. They can afford to buy the best camera, but they like the Moultries. They've bought really expensive brands that don't work as well. I bought mine on eBay from United Outdoors for $194 and free shipping.
It has an LCD screen so you can check to see if you have pics without having to take out the SD card, a red laser light for aiming the camera, plus other features, and the battery life is supposed to be good. You can also buy a solar panel that plugs into it. I would buy an infrared for sure, not the regular kind so it takes pics at night without a white flash. There's also a Moultrie 40 that is cheaper, around $150 at Walmart.com. I'd say if you have the money, get yourself one.

I could only suggest getting the one that offers Infared for night shots instead of the flash. The flash will spook the critter, but I would want to see what it was up to. Other than that, I dont know alot about them.

Good luck, post your pics!

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, though the flash DOES spook the critters, they don't seem to be deterred for too long.

However, the non-flash version would be nice to have. We would like to position our trail camera somewhere along our very long driveway, so we can keep track of who comes in and out while we're not there. However, if a person intent on theft were to travel our driveway during dark hours, the flash would go off and then they'd steal the trail camera as well.

I have a Moultrie D40, it's $99.99 on Cabela's site right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...hasJS=true&_requestid=116860&_requestid=72997

It has a flash but the only problem I've had with it is a bear saw the flash at night and messed with the cam a bit. I just had to straighten it up the next time I checked it. If you would like to see pics from my camera, there's a game cam thread somewhere with a few of my pictures. The batteries last several weeks and it's easy to tell when the batteries are nearly dead since there's a battery life percentage on the little screen. It's easy to set up once you realize the instructions are inside the battery compartment..took me awhile to find that.

Quote:
We figured an infrared would be the way to go, and maybe a solar panel. I don't want to be replacing 4 or 6 C cells every week or 2!

I'll check into the Moultries.

Quote:
I was looking at Cabela's site last night. I wish they had a chart comparing all their cameras. I'll look into the D40 too.

We got the infra red Moultrie and the first round of pics was a shock!! Fat coons, a whole family of skunks and two cats that aren't ours, sharpshin hawk in the barn!! It takes great pics day or night.We've set it up in different places now and its kinda fun to see who showed up!?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom