Looking For Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ryangv, Dec 15, 2012.

1. ryangv

ryangv New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    Hey everyone,

I am looking to get a pet goose this upcoming breeding season. I know it is early, but I want to be prepared so I don't miss the small window.

I live in San Diego, and this would be a house pet (wear diapers and everything). I have my heart set on a Chinese goose, prefferebly a brown one. I have read alot about geese and their mannerisms, but could you guys give me some advice?

And since he will mainly be living indoors, he deffinetly needs to be imprinted on me. So I was hoping to to find a breeder here in San Diego county (I'll drive to get it, but I deffinetly want to be the first thing it sees). So do any of you guys know any good breeders here in SD county? I know you can order them off websites like efowl, but I would be afraid it wouldn't imprint on me or it would be harmed while shipping.

Any info or breeder information you have would be great.

Thanks!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. If your looking for a pet I wouldn't go with Chinese geese. I'd go with a calmer breed like Buffs or Sebbies.I've had Chinese geese and they have all been extremely loud and aggressive.

3. ryangv

ryangv New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    A lot of people have told me that. Yet the ones I hang out with (the lake I always go to) are always the nicest ones there. That's deffinetly something to consider, thanks!

Do you know anything about toulouse mannerisms?

4. My brown Chinese goose lived inside with me for a long time! He wore diapers and would follow me around! Yes, he was a male, but was NEVER aggressive towards anyone and would play With my dog :)

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    geese are grazers and 90% of their diet should be grazing outside on grass. they also NEED water to eat, and need to bath to keep their feathers in good shape. Taking a goose outside for a walk for an hour or two a day isnt an appropriate life. Geese are social and should be with another goose not kept alone.

6. Mine had a kiddie pool and a dog run he could go into with grass.

7. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by