Looking for hatching eggs in Reading,PA. Affordable egg prices!

VansBantams

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2017
I have no specification for a chicken breed,just want to keep it in a budget. I'll pay 1-6 per dozen. Local only, I always have to type local and yet people still offer shipped eggs. Thank you for your time.

Hi there from north berks, I would check your local back roads for egg sale signs at farms. I dont know anyone that would sell hatching eggs that cheap, so you should go for farm eggs that are for eating but may also be fertile... Good Luck!

Thank you for your opinion on egg prices. I been driving down back roads and I still haven't found any eggs. I feel $6 is more than enough for a dozen fertile hatching eggs of a normal chicken breed.
Have a nice day

Thank you for your opinion on egg prices. I been driving down back roads and I still haven't found any eggs. I feel $6 is more than enough for a dozen fertile hatching eggs of a normal chicken breed.
Have a nice day

There's a family right off of 73 near Dan's Deli, has at least 1 rooster in with her red sexlinks and is selling eating eggs. Doubt she hatches so not sure what her fertility is like. About 25 min from reading. I don't know of any others but I'm sure they're around. As sally said, it is likely no one in this area would sell any purebred stock, regardless of breed, for that cheap. So your best bet is to go for farms that are selling eggs for the table, you'll probably get mostly heinz 57 mix barnyard birds but it's probably your only option in that scenario. Try craigslist as well...

Huh I live 30 mins away from you!

I don’t have 12 eggs though lol I only get 2-4 eggs a day.

Have you checked Craigslist? Theres also green dragon small animal auction. They sell eggs throughout the auction pretty cheap, and at the end of the animal auction (think 11pm-12am) they do lots of eggs, by then most people have left already and they sell the eggs around 5-10¢ each.
They sold 70 broilers for 3¢ each last time I went lol.

Huh I live 30 mins away from you!

I don’t have 12 eggs though lol I only get 2-4 eggs a day.

Have you checked Craigslist? Theres also green dragon small animal auction. They sell eggs throughout the auction pretty cheap, and at the end of the animal auction (think 11pm-12am) they do lots of eggs, by then most people have left already and they sell the eggs around 5-10¢ each.
They sold 70 broilers for 3¢ each last time I went lol.

What types of chickens do you have?

I tried out Craigslist but the prices I found on there recently have been very high. I tried to get eggs from Green dragon,but I didn't want to pull an all nighter. It seems at Green dragon that the breeds I want go too high or get auctioned off at 12 AM.

There's a family right off of 73 near Dan's Deli, has at least 1 rooster in with her red sexlinks and is selling eating eggs. Doubt she hatches so not sure what her fertility is like. About 25 min from reading. I don't know of any others but I'm sure they're around. As sally said, it is likely no one in this area would sell any purebred stock, regardless of breed, for that cheap. So your best bet is to go for farms that are selling eggs for the table, you'll probably get mostly heinz 57 mix barnyard birds but it's probably your only option in that scenario. Try craigslist as well...

I know 73,not sure where Dan's Deli is though. Does the family have an email address? I would like to see pictures of their stock.

What types of chickens do you have?

I tried out Craigslist but the prices I found on there recently have been very high. I tried to get eggs from Green dragon,but I didn't want to pull an all nighter. It seems at Green dragon that the breeds I want go too high or get auctioned off at 12 AM.

I have a mixed flock lol
I have Speckled Sussex hen (I have a super friendly rooster too if you’re interested!!) brabanter roosters, RIR hen, jersey giant hen, Some bantams that don’t breed. Most of my eggs are probably fertilized by my Easter Egger rooster I rehomed or the Sussex rooster... so I have no idea who the dads can be. (I really want brabanter mixes but the Sussex didn’t like him)

I’m incubating a few of my own eggs and there’s life in a few of them. ( they were the first eggs of the season so I wasn’t sure of my fertility rate)

Also! Are you only looking for eggs? Sometimes buying the chicks is a better idea... I just bought 12 brabanter (20$) eggs and only 1-3 look fertile.

Lol I went to green dragon last week for 6hours. By 12am they started auctioning off fresh produce along with dozens of eggs. You may want to pop in at 12 if your schedule permits one night just to check it out lol.

I’ve even seen mixed breed eggs go for $15 a dozen around here. Purebred are much higher, even some of the more common breeds available.

What I been finding for common chick breeds is that a chick can go for $1.50,but when it comes to hatching eggs for their about $25. Just for a common chick breed,when there isn't even a guarantee of fertility.

Back
Top Bottom