Looking for help in redesign older coop

Bigbluefrog

Songster
Aug 9, 2019
Central Wisconsin
Hi!
Kinda new got 7 - (5 week old) chicks.
I got an older coop with 2 full glass windows in back that swing open like a cabinet door.
I want to replace them with wood doors and screens.
I seen this double door where a door insets inside a door.
Anyone ever seen designs or diy instructions on this?

Wish I had a picture!
Two wood doors swing out and inset is another 2 doors that when open exposes a screen.
Thanks!!!
My husband has been ill and I been building the coop run by myself. I am pretty new with power tools. I installed hardware cloth. I have a table saw and chop saw and will finish this!! He built the frame. Then he got ill.
My kids came up and helped!
We made a split screen door so like a barn style door.
Missing my talented husband s help. I am impressed with how many women are so good at building!!! Your my inspiration!

Sorry to hear about your husband, I hope he gets better soon. Do you mean like a shutter on a window for your double door? If so i would make the inner door ventilated so that the coop can air out when you want it to. Just make sure the 2 doors are far enough away from each other that the hinges will open and close fine. Good Luck!

This is kinda like the idea except a full door instead of a drop on the bottom

Attachments

• F41CAA48-A3F2-4FF4-A4EC-EE57F98B28D0.jpeg
    F41CAA48-A3F2-4FF4-A4EC-EE57F98B28D0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 7D55F3CD-0668-4ED8-81B0-10E0F1E14847.jpeg
    7D55F3CD-0668-4ED8-81B0-10E0F1E14847.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
This is kinda like the idea except a full door instead of a drop on the bottom
Pics of your actual coop, please.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Bigbluefrog
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-20_16-58-6.png

Hi!
Kinda new got 7 - (5 week old) chicks.
I got an older coop with 2 full glass windows in back that swing open like a cabinet door.
I want to replace them with wood doors and screens.
I seen this double door where a door insets inside a door.
Anyone ever seen designs or diy instructions on this?

Wish I had a picture!
Two wood doors swing out and inset is another 2 doors that when open exposes a screen.
Thanks!!!
My husband has been ill and I been building the coop run by myself. I am pretty new with power tools. I installed hardware cloth. I have a table saw and chop saw and will finish this!! He built the frame. Then he got ill.
My kids came up and helped!
We made a split screen door so like a barn style door.
Missing my talented husband s help. I am impressed with how many women are so good at building!!! Your my inspiration!

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Pics of your actual coop, please.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Bigbluefrog
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1883873
Sorry no pictures today! I been rushing to get the run done! I will try tomorrow. We got the coop from a neighbor who upgraded.
So I know it works. He has full glass windows in the back. I think it spooks the birds a bit. So I want to remove them.

Do chickens need a window in the roost? I do have 2 windows that vent but when closed it is solid wood.

Do chickens need a window in the roost? I do have 2 windows that vent but when closed it is solid wood.
They don't need a window by the roost....but some like it.
It could be a problem depending on where you are located in this world and where the coop is located on your site.....too much solar gain can be a problem in the summer or a plus in the winter.
There should be light.... and 24/7/365 ventilation.... in the coop.

Could you not make a permanent hardware cloth screen for the door, then make solid doors to close when needed? Or are the double doors the people door as well? I think the birds wouldn't like to be closed up completely dark. If you decide to leave the glass doors in, you could orient the coop so the window part is towards the north, so the sun wouldn't shine directly in.
Oh, and welcome to BYC!

I am having trouble uploading a photo!
Tried several times. I think it worked! Augh!
Hubby is feeling better. He was diagnosed with 2 tick illnesses Lymes and Anaplasmosis. Fevers and night sweats, aches, headaches and no rash!!! On antibiotics for past 3 days and he is feeling better. No fever! Yeah! He will help build the doors in a few days. I want him to recover. Thank goodness as I tried installing a latch and what a mess! Augh!

Attachments

• 05881859-0129-40D0-BCD8-4020217A3000.jpeg
    05881859-0129-40D0-BCD8-4020217A3000.jpeg
    709.9 KB · Views: 34

Back
Top Bottom