Looking for help

Newguardian123

Hatching
Oct 30, 2023
20231023_165018.jpg

Looking for help working out what is wrong with this chicken (black one). She was given to us free along with a rooster and is supposedly an Australorp (but she doesn't have the pure black eyes our other australorps do). She's been walking around crouched down like this for the past 4 weeks and then I captured this picture of her when she was also doing something weird with her wings.
Originally thought she was egg bound, but that's not the case as shes been laying. Have given her a bath to relax her and treated for mites (although there weren't any visible).

Apart from being crouched down she seems fine. When we pick her up and put her down she walks normally for a short time and then goes back to a crouch.

Any thoughts on what might be the issue would be much appreciated.

View attachment 3672186

Looking for help working out what is wrong with this chicken (black one). She was given to us free along with a rooster and is supposedly an Australorp (but she doesn't have the pure black eyes our other australorps do). She's been walking around crouched down like this for the past 4 weeks and then I captured this picture of her when she was also doing something weird with her wings.
Originally thought she was egg bound, but that's not the case as shes been laying. Have given her a bath to relax her and treated for mites (although there weren't any visible).

Apart from being crouched down she seems fine. When we pick her up and put her down she walks normally for a short time and then goes back to a crouch.

Any thoughts on what might be the issue would be much appreciated.
My guess is she's molting but laying eggs while molting is not common. I had a molting hen do pretty much the same thing, but also acted like she was drunk when she walked. Yours almost looks like she's broody. Is she doing that momma hen clucking? Regardless, if she's been doing this for four weeks, either molting or broodiness should be over by now.

Have you seen if her poop looks normal? She eats and drinks normally?

To be on the safe side in case it's a vitamin deficiency or something, I'd put some Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell in their water or some other vitamin supplement.

Hard to tell what you mean by crouching from this angle, got any pictures of her walking from a side view? Those are some pretty good wattles she has, for a hen... 🤔

Back
Top Bottom