looking for historical poultry clubs

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I am looking for clubs that specialize in Historical breeds. I am interested in only having pure historical breeds kept for posterity sake. I am not looking to show poultry. I would like to keep three breeds. Dominiques, Delawares, Javas, Speckle Sussex, Buckeyes, White Wyandotte and Chanteclers. Dominiques and Delawares are two of my preferences. The third is up to what ever I can find of the other choices. I do know there is a Dominique club and I have contacted them. I would like to get good stock. These breeds I have read are rare or critical according to "Historical and Endangered livestock and poultrv". I am open to advice if you are involved in preserving historical breeds. Thanks
Rancher

There are several yahoo groups devoted to specific breeds- I started a Yahoo group and now we have around 40 members. We even have live meetings about once a month. If you don't find a group on yahoo- you can start one . it's really easy. Good luck!!

Edited to add- My group is not about a specific breed- We are for local people in my area or close to share our chicken keeping hobby.

Last edited:
Please be careful when recommending these clubs. So far I've only had the chance to look at the site for the Delaware club. The membership button does not work. It says to see their by laws and constitution click "here" but there is no button to click. There is a listing for "directors" for each state but there are only three directors. No membership list is available. I suspect a scam. So please becareful of these organizations if they exist. DO NOT GIVE OUT PERSONAL AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION. Especially credit card information such as this site requests.There is no state registration for this club. Who gets the money and what is being done with it?
Rancher

Each response here is right. Search out the clubs and check into them. There are lots of people out there that would happily help you. But always be cautious.

I'm a member of Chantecler Fanciers International, so I have to recommend the club and the breed of course. I will say that the club is in transition at the moment after being forced to move out of MSN Groups. This is causing some delays and issues with the new site. Please be patient though. There are many people that have this breed and will help you.

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time checking out the Delaware Club site since finding it. It is definitely a work in progress, but I haven't encountered any broken links nor requests for personal information -- all payments can be made through PayPal. Since I haven't opened all of the documents available on the membership page, it's possible I missed something in one of them. The missing link is unfortunate, but, again, the site is a work in progress (as near as I can tell, so is the club). I would suggest if you're interested in Delawares and have questions about the club just ask them. It's very hard to start a new club, but even more so if people assume the worst because of the newness of it.

We are members of the ALBC and have been for a while now. They maintain a list of breeders nationwide and conduct workshops for the heritage breeds.

Steve in NC

Hi Steve, Love NC brother lives in Mocksville.
Did I see "White Holland" in your list. One book I read mentioned them but couldn't get a picture. Said the only one left was the Barred Holland or am I mistaken. I'm capable of keeping "historical" breeds because this is my hobby and I'm not in chickens to get rich. Any suggestions on where to get historical stock would be nice. Though I have 8 breeds right now I intend to whittle those down to 3. Each publication gives a number of breeds that are critical, rare, etc. etc.
I can find most of these critical and rare breeds at many of the hatcheries. Would anyone care to comment on the quality of them. Delawares for instant are considered critical but a number of hatcheries have them. Should I purchase stock from different hatcheries? While I like "Marans" I can't afford $150 for a trio from "GreenFire", because I want a bigger gene pool. Here in NY we have a great showing of chickens at the State Fair. Is there anyone at BYC who is familiar w/ NYS poultry breeders and preservationists?

Quote:
The hatcheries generally don't offer chicks that truly represent the breed in question -- how can they when the number of breeders who breed to the standard isn't nearly enough to keep up with the level of the hatcheries demand? My Delawares are from hatchery stock. None of them have the temperaments I read about as coming from heritage stock. And, judging by the coloring and size of some of the hens, it's very likely that there was some outcrossing in recent generations. While the overall look is that of the Delaware breed, it isn't the same as what you get from breeding true Delaware lines. I'm sure the same holds true for other "rare and extremely rare" breeds that hatcheries are able to provide in large quantities.

Back
Top Bottom