1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for Indiana Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by joelamp, Jan 15, 2013.

1. joelamp

joelamp New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    Live in Northwest Indiana and looking for a hatchery close or someone who is selling pullets. I am looking for Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Silver laced Wyandotte. I am looking for egg layers and only need about 6 as me and my wife are starting to raise some backyard chickens. Any help would be great. Thanks Joe

2. applegal

applegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    I don't know of any Indiana Hatchery, but I believe Townline Hatchery is in SW Michigan. Sorry!

3. Chipper

Chipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Washington County, NY
    Mt Healthy Hatchery in Ohio should be fairly close to you and I've heard some very good reports on them. Good Luck and Enjoy !

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    None that i know in Indiana . But there are several in states close by. My Healthy as mentioned. Cackle in Mo, Meyer in Polk Oh. Make it a trip by going to Cedar Point and on the way back pick up some chicks from Meyers.

5. farmguy2007

farmguy2007 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    You will have a hard time finding any actual hatchery's as im a hoosier myself and have not found one yet. You could consider buying chicks from your local feed store or Rural King or TSC,maybe even Craigslist sometimes there are some really nice chicken breeders on there that are fairly local...Personally I went with Meyer..good selection,really fair prices(imo) and very close(polk,ohio as mentioned from above) No matter what hatchery you choose remember there will be good and bad reviews..its very tough to figure out who you want to put your money,time,and hope with!!lol..best of luck!! hope you figure out whats best for you!

6. joelamp

joelamp New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks

7. farmguy2007

farmguy2007 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    no problem joe..feel free to keep us updated..hope that you find the chicks your looking for,best of luck!! happy chickening!lol

8. doodles83

doodles83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    http://www.ChickenHues.com

This is the only place I have found in NW Indiana. I live in Northwest Indiana and am looking for a chicken coop.I would pay for someone to build it for me. do you know of anyone? I also only need about 6 chickens. Just enough for us and family to get eggs.

9. ChickenHobbyist

ChickenHobbyist New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    I am new to the "Chicken Culture." Last year, my wife & I started keeping chickens. Our initially batch came from Tractor Supply but we realized we didn't not have the number or character in our coop we wanted. So through the chicken auction in Lowell, IN we have arrived at thirteen. Through a farmer friend who has owned chickens & suggested culling our hens every year before the meat becomes tough, we have ordered 7 new for this year. Meyer Hatchery was the best site to traverse & where we could order individually.

Like you I would like to stay in Indiana but find no commercial hatcherys. I bought "Storey's Illustrated guide to Poultry Breeds," which has a "Commericial Hatcheries" section. They have one Indiana hatchery listed: "Who's Yur Hatchery." They are located in Kokomo and their phone number is 765-566-3562.

I have my chickens for this year. Through this next year I am hoping to find out more about this business but have other chores to tend to right now. If you learn anything please pass this information on. I fear they may not have a variety of breeds to choose from.

10. Bill Matthews

Bill Matthews Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    A few years ago they had several breeds....You didn't say where in Indiana you are...Mt Healthy Hatchery outside Cincinatti has very good stock and have a great reputation, too..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by