Looking for INEXPENSIVE ideas to protect large amounts of food

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
from rodent-resembling predators...

I buy 600-800# of feed at a time, roughly monthly. Buying a half dozen metal trash cans just doesn't seem practical, nor are thin guage galzanized steel cans famed for longevity. And of course the wasted space...

I have my eyes out for defunct refrigerators, chest freezers, etc. Anything else I should keep my eyes open for?

I was thinking about those freezers too. Could you build a big box, lined on either the inside or outside, with at least 1/4" hardware cloth? Covered in sheet metal, metal roofing or something?
Those big old chest freezers are great, if you can find one.
Here we only buy, at most, 200 pounds at once, stored in those garbage cans.
Mary

55 gallon barrels. Few years ago I was buying them for $5 a barrel as long as I bought at least 50. For a 1/4 to half a ton you gonna need to buy in bulk

from rodent-resembling predators...

I buy 600-800# of feed at a time, roughly monthly. Buying a half dozen metal trash cans just doesn't seem practical, nor are thin guage galzanized steel cans famed for longevity. And of course the wasted space...

I have my eyes out for defunct refrigerators, chest freezers, etc. Anything else I should keep my eyes open for?
Can’t really beat a defunct chest freezer. If you have nextdoor, post on it asking for broken ones. You can also try local appliance sales/repair places. Is freecycle still a thing? If so, put out a wanted request.

If you’re already storing that much feed, would it be cheaper to line the whole room with hardware cloth? Or inexpensive metal roof panels?

Around here, I was able to order a new garden waste bin from our waste hauler for $30. It holds 120g. Which should hold easily about 200# of feed. In my situation it holds 3 50# bags of feed sitting upright. If the feed was poured in, it would hold way more.

If I was going for cheap & easy, scour around for a broken chest freezer. Second option would be make a bin out of hardware cloth. I made a rat proof compost bin by lining (cut to size) horse panels with hardware cloth. It’s 24”w x30”h x 60”l. Just guessing, but it would probably hold 400-500# of bagged feed. It’d not be overly easy to get the bagged food out of it, but it’s definitely kept the rats out of my compost pile so far. I built it like a gabion fence.

I'm lucky. I buy around 1000 lbs of feed a month and leave it on a covered pallet. So far no issues of critters getting in it. I was looking for a large grain bin. I would think a large trash can with wheels so it can be moved. On feed day I do empty the bags of feed into buckets because it's easier to use my trailer to cart buckets around to the coops to fill the feeders. It usually takes a couple of buckets per feeder. I feed once a week. Good luck...

I maintain at least three different feeds at a time, so I have to leave it in bags. When i add rabbits, it will be four feeds.

But yes, I am thinking quite a lot about building a very solid low raised shelf, using cheap tin roofing to wall and cover it, and likely a top hinge front for access. IF I can't find some busted chest freezers (which I will raise and lay on their side, so I don't have to lean over/in to access feed. This back I was born with is the only one I'll ever have...)

Any way to get a used IBC tote to work for you?

I use those for water. My thoughts are that I would have to cut thru the metal cage around it, that rodents would chew the plastic, and that the feed won't dispense thru anyways. If only chickens ate liquid food, right??? Sadly, not so liquid that I could have a 250 gallon continous ferment going, and just pour 50# of feed in the top every four days (feed I'd still need to store elsewhere...)

Back
Top Bottom