Looking for info or possible review of a carport and to see if any of you have done this before.

mnms611416

Chirping
Feb 5, 2023
We have saw online where some people turned a pole carport into a run, the ones that cost like 5000 dollars and I wanted to see if any of you may have tried as well and pros and cons if so? Or if you've went with what The pictures below show. That is possibly what we are thinking of using. We would reinforce the tarp/canvas stuff with wood and hardware cloth and add ventilation. We were really just thinking of the frame part is useful and the size we are looking for. Just let me know what all you think. Thank you all so much!

**Edited to Add* We have found one for really cheap, literally next to nothing almost. We already have a very sturdy coop and run built already. We wanted to get this and use the frame to add an onto the run we already have. It would be reinforced with wood, hardware cloth and a tin roof. It would be staked down bc it comes with stakes and weight bags to place around it. We would not use the canvas tarp that comes with it at all bc the sun would deteriorate it. Thank you**

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230210-201147~2.png
    Screenshot_20230210-201147~2.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 290
  • Screenshot_20230210-201606~2.png
    Screenshot_20230210-201606~2.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Having worked on those aluminum car ports in years past my advice is that it wouldn't be an optimal starting point for a run.

Hear me out. Unless you can get one really cheap the money would be better spent making your own.

If you can get one cheap, then yeah you can make the necessary arrangements to make a run out of one, sure.

Personally I wouldn't go with canvas or a tarp, I'd put a metal roof on it and wrap the rest in hardwire. This would likely involve some modification but should be suitable.

ETA, those structures generally aren't nearly as sturdy as stick built wooden structures, FWIW.

We moved a carport frame from one of our rental properties to our house and then covered it with metal roofing, making it at a covered run. It worked, until it didn't. We did not sink the poles into the ground. Instead we made a wood perimeter "frame" that sat on the ground and the metal carport poles attached to the frame. The run was also wrapped in plastic. The setup was sufficient for a couple years. Last year, we had a windier than normal spring (ie 50-60 mph gusts for about 2 weeks). The gusts ended up rolling the whole structure and breaking and/bending the poles. We have since built a wood structure...this pic is what we had.
20200912_101430.jpg

Last edited:
Having worked on those aluminum car ports in years past my advice is that it wouldn't be an optimal starting point for a run.

Hear me out. Unless you can get one really cheap the money would be better spent making your own.

If you can get one cheap, then yeah you can make the necessary arrangements to make a run out of one, sure.

Personally I wouldn't go with canvas or a tarp, I'd put a metal roof on it and wrap the rest in hardwire. This would likely involve some modification but should be suitable.

ETA, those structures generally aren't nearly as sturdy as stick built wooden structures, FWIW.
We've already got a sturdy built coop and run, we were thinking of using this frame to attach to the run we already have to extend it to accommodate for more chickens. And yes I said in the post we were going to make it sturdier with hardware cloth and wood and already thought of a tin roof as that is what we already have on in our run now. Thank you for your input

We moved a carport frame from one of our rental properties to our house and then covered it with metal roofing, making it at a covered run. It worked, until it didn't. We did not sink the poles into the ground. Instead we made a wood perimeter "frame" that sat on the ground and the metal carport poles attached to the frame. The run was also wrapped in plastic. The setup was sufficient for a couple years. Last year, we had a windier than normal spring (ie 50-60 mph gusts for about 2 weeks). The gusts ended up rolling the whole structure and breaking and/bending the poles. We have since built a wood structure...this pic is what we had. View attachment 3401903

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned sturdiness.

Although 50+mph winds are a lot for any structure. I still think a properly built wood framed structure is going to hold up better than any metal pre fabbed car port.

I had a damaged frame from a 10x20 garage from Costco. I cut the legs down where they were bent so ended up with about 4' sides. Used a roll of chain link fence I had sitting around ( free dumpster diving) for the sides. Covered the top with field fence (nice big squares so the snow couldn't build up but small enough to keep owls out so I could leave the pop door open at night). Tall enough to walk around in 7' at the peak. I did need shade cloth in the summer. Worked well for 5+ years. Left it behind when I moved. Would come in handy now with all the pullets I have this year. Wind was never an issue because I didn't roof it to become a big sail. The chain link was probably heavy enough to weigh it down too.

Last edited:
How did you attach your roof to the poles? We have bought the frame and now looking at ways to add the roof to it bc we don't want to just use the tarp that came with it or the netting. Thank you!
Self tapping construction screws attached the boards to the metal poles.

Attachments

• 20200912_101446.jpg
    20200912_101446.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom