Looking for input on designing our chicken coop

samiam4863

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 14, 2013
My husband and I are..well....anal. We've been researching chickens & coops and all things raising chickens for 1-1/2 years.
smile.png
The chickens are on order & due for May delivery. Sadly I've fallen & broken my arm. Hubby is building the chicken coop...well...we thought on his spring break but here in Wisconsin we have a couple feet of snow on the ground yet. Hopefully we can complete it by the time it will be needed in mid June.

We've taken multiple designs & made the "greatest chicken coop" (which continues to morph). Anyone see things we need to add yet? We live on 66 acres & have lots of predators so the hens will be confined to the house & run. Gable roof covers the entire thing. We're open to any thoughts, input, feedback.

We will be raising golden-laced Wyandottes. We're really looking forward to it. The exterior of the house will be sided & painted to match our home & trim.
Since I can't upload anything, please email/contact me & I can send you the Word document with plans & pics.
jumpy.gif

Thank you so much!

Thanks for the welcome! Not sure when that will be but I have it all in a word doc so at least it can be emailed. I tried to copy & paste with no luck. 'Course trying to do things 1-handed isn't helping.
barnie.gif

YES...lots of work but finally got the pics & info in here.

*****This is not our actual coop; it is the basis for our design. Thanks to the wonderful folks who built this one. We expanded on their ideas below.*****

Since we need a larger space for our 15 chickens, we will double stack the nesting boxes & a larger door that swings open will be installed providing access to all the nesting boxes at one time. Our hen house will be larger (6x8).

Because we live in a cold climate we will insulate the hen house just as this one is.

Carabiners will be used to secure all doors.

This back door will be 3x4 & solid wood with a glass window in it. The rectangular area above it will be screened with ½’ welded wire. This will be opened as ventilation is needed.

We plan to have a crushed limestone base, ½” welded wire will be laid down & then another layer of limestone put over the top of it.
Our chicken “home” will be located beneath towering pines for shade & the run will face the sun for winter. There is a hill to the north to block cold in winter.

The 3 sides beneath our hen house will be screened & covered with treated plywood so they will have a “3-seasons room”. There will be a door along the long wall to allow us access.

This side (left) of the hen house will have 2 doors with a breakaway post for ease in cleaning out the coop.
This side will also have the roosts. A removable board will be installed for easy cleaning beneath the roosts.
The floor inside the coop will be covered with linoleum.

Feeders & waterer will be hung below the window area outside. Waterer will be round metal type so a heater can be added in the winter.
Electrical outlet will be available for the heater. Electrical will also be run above for an interior light. Wiring will be encased in metal wire wrap to protect it.

The screened in area will be 6’ tall at the lowest point. We are also putting in reinforcement boards 2’ apart to make it easier to attach wire & sturdier. Our overall interior coop & exterior run will be slightly larger than this one.

In ground planters will be put in outside the run for catnip & thyme to help ward off parasites. Planters with the same & perhaps a few flowers will be placed outside in front & back so they are easily moved for access. Because the limestone will become hard packed, we will include a separate tub for dust baths.

Still open to suggestions...do we have enough ventilation? Is limestone ok for the chickens? Would we still need to feed grit?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom