Is our coop ready for Wisconsin winter?

WiscoLinkie

In the Brooder
May 27, 2023
Hello, we're new chicken parents. We have 9 young chickens, hatched in June. Over the summer we've been remodeling an old dog kennel into a chicken coop, adding siding and roof. As you can see in the image below we currently have siding and roof around all sides of the coop but there's still some gaps along the top. We added tarps to cover the gap on the side that the chickens live, and might add additional tarp to block the wind.

Does this look cozy enough for the Wisconsin winters or should we look to be adding insolation and/or a heating panels?

Appreciate any help or suggestions y'all have.

Thanks,
PXL_20231011_221000555.MP.jpg

IMG_20231016_183000.jpg

Hi, what are the walls made out of? Can the roof handle snow load? Can you get eaves that go out farther? What are the dimensions? Just first pass, you will probably need to close in an area in the space you have set up as Wisconsin is super cold and snowy. You'll also need to create a tall lip inside the door so that snow doesn't come in when you get a lot of snow.

Main question for you to gauge the space, will my hens have a draft free space that will take the edge off the worst night.

The roof and siding are both plastic siding panels. The white panels have been up for multiple years, put up by the previous owner. We just added the clear panels. I think the roof should be able to handle the snow. And I think for the most part the structure will break the heaviest winds. It's also on the edge of a wooded area which should keep the wind down a bit. Yet to be seen how much snow will creep in, but I think it's "mostly" sheltered.

Back
Top Bottom