Winter Care

KimInKy

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2023
This is my first winter with chickens. They are about 17 weeks old Rhode Island Reds I live in Kentucky and our winters are usually not to bad maybe a few single digits but not many days. I have decided against a heat source and am trying the deep litter method. I also want to put a roof on the run and possibly wrap the sides halfway up to block wind. My question is what is the best way to winterize? I want to put foam board insulation in the coop with thin paneling over it to keep the chickens from pecking at it. I have added pics Thank you so much for helping me.

Attachments

• IMG_3085.jpeg
    IMG_3085.jpeg
    642.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3084.jpeg
    IMG_3084.jpeg
    762.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3083.jpeg
    IMG_3083.jpeg
    754.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3082.jpeg
    IMG_3082.jpeg
    768 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3081.jpeg
    IMG_3081.jpeg
    830.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3078.jpeg
    IMG_3078.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3080.jpeg
    IMG_3080.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3079.jpeg
    IMG_3079.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 23
You need good ventilation even more in the winter than the summer. Keep the moist air vented out above the chickens' heads to help prevent frostbite on combs and wattles. Dry chickens are warm chickens. They don't need a heat source until you get to brutal cold temps; they are wearing down parkas, after all. (Brutal cold is below zero, F.)

A roof over the run, if doable, will keep out most of the rain/snow, but it has to be able to withstand the weight of any snow you get. Here in Michigan, we get heavy wet snow. I broom off the roof of the run when we get anything more than an inch.

Windblock panels/tarps on the walls of the run make it much nicer for them to be outside on not so nice days.

You need good ventilation even more in the winter than the summer. Keep the moist air vented out above the chickens' heads to help prevent frostbite on combs and wattles. Dry chickens are warm chickens. They don't need a heat source until you get to brutal cold temps; they are wearing down parkas, after all. (Brutal cold is below zero, F.)

A roof over the run, if doable, will keep out most of the rain/snow, but it has to be able to withstand the weight of any snow you get. Here in Michigan, we get heavy wet snow. I broom off the roof of the run when we get anything more than an inch.

Windblock panels/tarps on the walls of the run make it much nicer for them to be outside on not so nice days.
Yes I worry about ventilation because we only have the one opening at the top with the overhang and the windows which is all on the same side. I am thinking about adding a small vent with a door on the opposite side at the top. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom