Looking for input on neighbor raising chickens

Wallypoky

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2019
I live in a neighborhood and township that regulates raising chickens according to State of Ohio laws which in my neighborhood most lots do not allow for chickens to be raised. Our lots are less than 1 acre and are platted. My next door neighbor installed a 12'x30' shed / garage / chicken coop about 8' from my property line and about 25' away from the back corner of my house. They started keeping 12 chickens in there. about 2 months ago. They are also in the process of installing a 6' wire fence around their back yard. I own a 3 yr old lab that is very friendly and likes people. These same neighbors have always acted like they don't like my dog and never pet him never talk kindly to him even when he goes up to them wagging his tail. I bird hunt with this dog and I feel that these people are asking for more problems with what they are doing with these chickens though I do appreciate the 6' fence they are installing. I am concerned that these chickens are likely to attract rodents especially considering the living habits of these people. These neighbors have 3 dogs that are mostly kept indoors and only tied out for brief periods on a chain to relieve themselves. That area where the dogs are tied out is badly maintained and often left to the point where there are piles of dog feces all over. They are also very negligent about caring for the health of their dogs. They are also very messy about keeping a trashy yard with stuff piled around. Am I out of line to push the issue with zoning about these folks keeping chickens? I sort of already don't like these people as it is.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:
just my opinion, looks like they are doing things to avoid problems with them, that may be how they need to stretch their food dollars too, I don't know anything about your neighbors so can't say anything about them really. you can both work together on protecting your animals from trouble. I raise them as I am so sensitive to so many different things I can't eat grocery store eggs, and have only had a problem with one neighbors dog that was allowed to run loose breaking in after an egg thief cut my back fence. I do share with my neighbors though too and have yet to have a problem with very close quarters. Talking to your neighbor might be the best solution. I have 3 labs well trained but not for hunting and they are more of a danger from the chickens pecking them than anything else, It's about learning to live in harmony. We are allowed Hens , and the neighbors were the ones that wanted me to get a rooster to, keep the hens from their daily drama

Talk with them. You bring up many points- how close it is to your property, how they could attract rats, etc. etc. that being said,

I own a 3 yr old lab that is very friendly and likes people. These same neighbors have always acted like they don't like my dog and never pet him never talk kindly to him even when he goes up to them wagging his tail.

you shouldn’t dislike your neighbors for not caring about your dog. I despise dogs, and avoid interacting with dogs (specifically in my neighborhood) because they come back to kill my chickens. But if you go talk to them about their chickens, you should also ask them to clean after their dogs (if it’s close enough to your property) and their dogs health.
That area where the dogs are tied out is badly maintained and often left to the point where there are piles of dog feces all over. They are also very negligent about caring for the health of their dogs.
Most importantly, don’t go over to their house and be a jerk. Make suggestions, not commands and be polite. Best of luck to you and your neighbors, and I hope you guys can figure this out without any resentment

Talk with them. You bring up many points- how close it is to your property, how they could attract rats, etc. etc. that being said,

you shouldn’t dislike your neighbors for not caring about your dog. I despise dogs, and avoid interacting with dogs (specifically in my neighborhood) because they come back to kill my chickens. But if you go talk to them about their chickens, you should also ask them to clean after their dogs (if it’s close enough to your property) and their dogs health.

Most importantly, don’t go over to their house and be a jerk. Make suggestions, not commands and be polite. Best of luck to you and your neighbors, and I hope you guys can figure this out without any resentment

The neighbor has acted like they don't like my dog ever since I got him as a 10 week old pup 3 years ago. He's a well behaved dog. I sometimes do let him off leash with a remote electric color while I'm present and I always do my best to call him back if he heads over that way without me. The chickens situation didn't show up until late July so them not liking my dog is not related to the chickens. They also do not say hello unless I speak up first and even at that the response is pretty subdued or not at all. Not very friendly pretty much unless they want something.

Last edited:
The neighbor has acted like they don't like my dog ever since I got him as a 10 week old pup 3 years ago. He's a well behaved dog. I sometimes do let him off leash with a remote electric color while I'm present and I always do my best to call him back if he heads over that way without me. The chickens situation didn't show up until late July so them not liking my dog is not related to the chickens. They also do not say hello unless I speak up first and even at that the response is pretty subdued or not at all. Not very friendly pretty much unless they want something.

You do not need to socialize with your neighbors, this is not a requirement. I have many neighbors I have never spoken to and have no needs or wants to speak to. I also do not speak to or interact with my neighbors animals. Maybe that makes me a bad neighbor, but I don't feel that just because I happen to live near someone that I need to include them in my social group.

You do not need to socialize with your neighbors, this is not a requirement. I have many neighbors I have never spoken to and have no needs or wants to speak to. I also do not speak to or interact with my neighbors animals. Maybe that makes me a bad neighbor, but I don't feel that just because I happen to live near someone that I need to include them in my social group.
I've never expected or felt a "need" to "socialize" or have any of my neighbors be best of friends or included in my "tight knit" social group. That's not what I'm saying here. I say hi or wave hi to the mailman and he usually says hi or waves hi back. Sometimes he pets my dog and sometimes makes small talk for a minute or two. It's what's commonly referred to as being "neighborly". That's the sort of thing I'm talking about here. What I'm saying is that these neighbors aren't very "neighborly or friendly. An excepetion has been when they wanted something. Living right next door to someone does to some degree force folks into being included as part of a "social group" whether we choose to admit it or like it or not. The same goes for living according to shared rules & living standards which in this case with the chickens they have been ignoring.

Last edited:
I've never expected or felt a "need" to "socialize" or have any of my neighbors be best of friends or included in my "tight knit" social group. That's not what I'm saying here. I say hi or wave hi to the mailman and he usually says hi or waves hi back. Sometimes he pets my dog and sometimes makes small talk for a minute or two. It's what's commonly referred to as being "neighborly". That's the sort of thing I'm talking about here. What I'm saying is that these neighbors aren't very "neighborly or friendly. An excepetion has been when they wanted something. Living right next door to someone does to some degree force folks into being included as part of a "social group" whether we choose to admit it or like it or not. The same goes for living according to shared rules & living standards which in this case with the chickens they have been ignoring.

You’re right - having a neighbor often means you’ll socialize to some extent, even if only minimally.

Are you sure that they cannot raise chickens per ordinance/law? Often places that allow chickens on small lots will allow them as close or closer than you indicated in your first post. And their willingness to put up a fence is good. I think the piles of dog feces from 3 dogs may be worse that the poop from 12 chickens!

FWIW, I’m generally not into others pets, so a neighbor dog or cat is unlikely to get attention from me (or my spouse) as it is not our pet and just not something we would pay attention to (unless it caused trouble). I know others are the same way, so that part of your story seems normal to me. Too bad the neighbors aren’t very friendly in general, though. Maybe they are just more introverted people and not social.

They don’t have to like your dog. It seems extremely petty to be mad that they’re getting chickens because they don’t pet your dog. I love dogs, but my own BFF has two dogs that I don’t really like. She doesn’t get offended that I don’t pet them a ton or praise them, she respects that I might feel a bit uncomfortable around them. It sounds to me like your threatening to stick your dog on their chickens just because they don’t pet your dog...correct me if I’m wrong. Treat others as you want to be treated.

Back
Top Bottom