Looking for Jaerhon chickens.

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! I am looking for Jaerhon chickens! I have found them in a few hatcheries, but I think most of them were in Canada, and possibly weren't able to ship to me. Another one I just didn't trust, they were claiming stuff that was "too good to be true" in the description about a certain breed. I didn't look at what they said with other breeds though. Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions!

You may have already checked these, but here's what I found:

Ideal Poultry has Norwegian Jaerhons on their website-- currently saying "sold out until June 2021" (I think you can choose to get on a waitlist.)

Sandhill Preservation has them listed for sale.

No Jaerhons on the websites of these hatcheries:
Murray McMurray
Cackle
Hoovers
Welp
Strombergs
Greenfire Farms
My Pet Chicken

No eggs listed on ebay right now, either.

They sound like an interesting breed, but are clearly not going to be easy to find!

You may have already checked these, but here's what I found:

Ideal Poultry has Norwegian Jaerhons on their website-- currently saying "sold out until June 2021" (I think you can choose to get on a waitlist.)

Sandhill Preservation has them listed for sale.

No Jaerhons on the websites of these hatcheries:
Murray McMurray
Cackle
Hoovers
Welp
Strombergs
Greenfire Farms
My Pet Chicken

No eggs listed on ebay right now, either.

They sound like an interesting breed, but are clearly not going to be easy to find!
Yes thank you! I did see something about the availability on IDEAL, so I will look into that more. Thank you! I want them for an experiment on a 100% free range/forage diet!

Too bad we’re across the border from each other; I’ve got a couple. lol. Lots of places here in Canada have but I have no idea about what would be involved in getting them or eggs across the border...

I want them for an experiment on a 100% free range/forage diet!

I would be tempted to choose a hatchery, and order 1 or 2 pullets each of about 20 different breeds, then see how they do. I would probably focus especially on light breeds (Hamburgs, Leghorns, Minorcas, Andalusians, Lakenvelders, and the "Indian Red Jungle Fowl" some hatcheries sell), and maybe the longtails like Yokohamas, Sumatras, and Phoenix (the females don't get the long tails, but I imagine those would be a problem for males.)

There's also a chance that bantams would work well, especially the ones that don't have extra feathers or extreme body shapes. So maybe Old English Game Bantams, and the bantam versions of Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Wyandotte, Easter Eggers, etc.

(I'm just throwing out a few more ideas to make your decision harder :D)

I would be tempted to choose a hatchery, and order 1 or 2 pullets each of about 20 different breeds, then see how they do. I would probably focus especially on light breeds (Hamburgs, Leghorns, Minorcas, Andalusians, Lakenvelders, and the "Indian Red Jungle Fowl" some hatcheries sell), and maybe the longtails like Yokohamas, Sumatras, and Phoenix (the females don't get the long tails, but I imagine those would be a problem for males.)

There's also a chance that bantams would work well, especially the ones that don't have extra feathers or extreme body shapes. So maybe Old English Game Bantams, and the bantam versions of Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Wyandotte, Easter Eggers, etc.

(I'm just throwing out a few more ideas to make your decision harder :D)
I have a list of breeds! Sadly, I only have room for about 15 chickens, Plenty of forage room, but I don't think the builders in the family are willing to build a coop big enough for more then that.

My list consists of- Jaerhons, Games, Pheonix, Prairie Bluebell Egger, Brown Leghorn, and Dorking. I am 100% going buy Games, Bluebell Egger, and Jaerhons because they are speedy. That is 3 breeds, so I then have to decide between Pheonix, Brown Leghorns, Dorking, and whatever breeds I find! Lol! I want to pick 5 breeds, and get about 3 of each. I will likely decide based on availability after the 3 I am defiantly getting. It will be a fun experiment!

Back
Top Bottom