Looking for me first Coop. Considering an Omlet

Maybe this is a great time to start buying some basic hand and power tools and learn to build a basic coop on your own. I can think of probably 6-10 hand and power tools that can be had for cheap that could easily build a nice coop. Your sense of accomplishment would be great as well. Either way, let us know what you did with pics too.

I guess will be one of the few who says "I love my Eglu Go Up." Was it pricey? Yes. Was it the easiest thing to build? Yes! Now let me clarify a bit on its use: It makes an awesome grow-out, isolation, and probably broody coop. We have a large 8x12 coop and 10x20 run for the rest of the flock. I just needed something sturdy, long-lasting, and easy for me to put together, for when some new babies came and needed to be seperate. The Eglu checked off all of those boxes.

Last edited:
I guess will be one of the few who says "I love my Eglu Go Up." Was it pricey? Yes. Was it the easiest thing to build? Yes! Now let me clarify a bit on its use: It makes an awesome grow-out, isolation, and probably broody coop. We have a large 8x12 coop and 10x20 run for the rest of the flock. I just needed something sturdy, long-lasting, and easy for me to put together, for when some new babies came and needed to be seperate. The Eglu checked off all of those boxes.

There is a big difference between their suitability for that purpose and as a long-term sole housing option for the number of birds manufacturers purport them to be acceptable for. I, too, have used a prefab unit for a grow out or isolation unit, because that is about all they are really "good" for - but that is not the same as someone looking at them as a permanent unit.

I would get the cube because I want four or five chickens
i have 5 chickens (barred rock, wyandotte, easter egger and 2 ISA Browns) in Minnesota and this coop is perfect! They have plenty of room in there at night, which is pretty much the only time they go inside, except to lay) and there's plenty of room for that as well. I purchased the extended runs and the portability (if you want it) is very nice as well. This will be my first winter but I have every confidence they will be fine. They've stayed nice and dry in heavy rain. I do tarp the run and when i clean the drawer out, I put extra pine shavings on the run floor, to keep them off of the dirt and prevent mud in the rain.

i have 5 chickens (barred rock, wyandotte, easter egger and 2 ISA Browns) in Minnesota and this coop is perfect! They have plenty of room in there at night, which is pretty much the only time they go inside, except to lay) and there's plenty of room for that as well. I purchased the extended runs and the portability (if you want it) is very nice as well. This will be my first winter but I have every confidence they will be fine. They've stayed nice and dry in heavy rain. I do tarp the run and when i clean the drawer out, I put extra pine shavings on the run floor, to keep them off of the dirt and prevent mud in the rain.
But will that hold up under any snow load?

Back
Top Bottom