Looking for me first Coop. Considering an Omlet

Tim8954

Hatching
Mar 9, 2016
Maywood NJ
Hi everyone,
I am looking for my first chicken coop. I have a small space and I would ideally like to keep 3 chickens but would be ok with 2. I don't really have to time or the skills and tools to build from scratch. I keep getting drawn to the omlet coops but the reviews are all. This is the best coop ever or this is the worst coop ever. What are your thoughts. I like the idea of a plastic coop. Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Tim

What would those options be? Would love to check them out

I would look locally for someone who is building and selling small coops - the quality of the materiel and workmanship will be far superior and these "pre-fabs" tend to be much better designed with regards to having your flock not just survive, but thrive. You can find them all over craigslist, etc and some of the farm stores have begun offering the bigger/better pre-fabs as well -- our local rural king, for example, has the usual little ones that are not really suited at all to what they claim, but they also have larger better built ones now. Yes, you pay for the convenience of having gotten a pre-built coop, and you will pay for the quality, but it's an investment in the success of your venture into chickens.
The alternative would be to buy a small shed -- these are easily converted to a coop even by the least handy of people and offer an amount of space and overall structure much more suited to a happy/healthy flock than Omlet products of the small pre-fabs.

I guess will be one of the few who says "I love my Eglu Go Up." Was it pricey? Yes. Was it the easiest thing to build? Yes! Now let me clarify a bit on its use: It makes an awesome grow-out, isolation, and probably broody coop. We have a large 8x12 coop and 10x20 run for the rest of the flock. I just needed something sturdy, long-lasting, and easy for me to put together, for when some new babies came and needed to be seperate. The Eglu checked off all of those boxes.

Last edited:
They get a "nope" vote from me - there is nothing about their design that is appropriate for chickens. There are other pre-fab options out there that would require little/no construction on your part and be a better choice for the birds.

I vote no also.....they're just too small, both floor space and height, as are most prefabs.

What is your climate?
Adding your location to your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

How big is the space you have for chickens?

Oh and Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
I live in New Jersey. I don't have a huge amount of space. I am currently trying to figure out the best spot. Looking at May 8ft by 3 ft.

Cheers,
Tim

I have a pre fab coop due to the same issue, i'm also not very handing, and in the past iv bought a hand made coop that Wasnt the prettiest and hated, Not all prefab coops are great, so I'd look up reviews. Are you going to free range? if not, i'd buy a bigger pre fab coop with an extra run, I have a Summerhawk ranch coop from homedepot. i kind wished i waited till they came out with the XL models though since those are bigger for only 100$ more.... but I ended up Buying a ten by ten enclosure and put the coop in it and this is working out great for me. and it matches my house haha

When I lived in Michigan I had an Omlet Go and loved it. I had three chickens. They made it through the winters without issue. I had portable fencing that I would let them out in for most of the day. It was so easy to clean. I moved and can't have chickens so sold it. If I can ever have chickens again I would get the cube.

Back
Top Bottom