looking for Muscovy Juveniles/Ducklings

axxell33

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
Annapolis, MD
Hi all.. I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right to direction to a good hatchery for Muscovy Ducks. If not, are there some fine folks here that breed and ship?

We just suffered a loss this last weekend with some of my chickens and all of my ducks. I lost one of my muscovy and the other two were badly hurt so I had to put them down. I have since built a Ft Chicken Knox, reworked our entire run and have electric fencing and buried chicken wire all the way around. They would be going to a caring and loving home with 6 children. I know it is late in the year now but does someone have a juvie breeding trio or even ducklings?

If you have anything at all I may be interested. If you don't have any and could point me in the direction of someone who does, I would really appreciate it! I am located in Maryland.

Thanks!
Brad

I have tried.. no such luck because it is late in the year. I have a few emails out that I hope to hear back from. Thanks!

I just mailed a woman some Muscovy eggs that lives about 2 hours from you. I'm sure that she's not going to want to keep all that she hatches, if all hatch, so maybe you can get some from her. Let me talk to her and see if she'll let me give you her email addy.

Laurie

I live about an hour from you. I have 1 Muscovy drake and 3 hens. They are all pied and barred. 12 and 1/2 weeks old. They were destined for freezer camp(all hatched from the same 2 parents) but if you want them, get in touch with me through PM. I'm sure we can work something out.

They freerange all day and are penned at night. They show almost no fear of people and can get under foot, lol but since I believe you want them as pets, I'm guessing that would suite you just fine.

Can you show us picks of your run and house? I would REALLY make sure it's preditor proof prior to putting anything else in there, as the one that got them will be back.

You said you burried chicken wire. Chicken wire will not keep preditors out. It needs to be hardward cloth on all openings. And then make sure you are locking up both the chickens and ducks in a preditor proof coop/house.

Maybe post an ad on Craigslist. Lots of folks in my area are still selling little ones.

Quote:
Axxell! Yes come get some. Snakeman and I are in St. Mary's County. A little less than an hour from Annapolis. Not gonna ship them, but if you want to make the drive they sure are pretty ad have been hand raised and spoiled. They are destined for the freezer so I'd be happy to let them go to a good home instead!

Snakeman and MM.. you guys are awesome. PM on its way!!!

@sweetcheaks- I have a chainlink run. On the interior from the ground up is a 30" lining of chicken wire. On the outside is chicken wire 12" high and buried that extends about 30" outward from the pen. I also have 2 strands of electrical wire (continuous flow) around the perimeter. It killed me to shoot my ducks and I can assure I worked 10 hours on sunday reworking the entire run and coop area.

Axxell - get the ones from Snakeman and MysticalMom, and then come see me in the spring when you want to add more - mine will be old enough to breed/lay eggs by then, and I'm probably only about 15-20 minutes from you.

Actually, if you'd like to replace some of the chickens you lost, I might be able to help - I'm downsizing and will be sending a bunch to a friend this weekend so she can take them to auction. Depends on what breeds you're looking for tho - shoot me a PM ASAP and we'll talk, ok?

ETA:
Quote:
Laurie, are these the ones you shipped to Deb? If so, Axell, I see Deb every couple months and would be more than willing to bring some ducklings back for you if necessary! (she's the one I'm meeting this weekend)

Last edited:
Axell, I have a quick question for you, are the muscovy going to be penned all the time? Do they ever get to free range?

Back
Top Bottom