looking for new breeds

i got mine when i knew nothing about chickens, so picking from the almost empty assorted bantam bin was a good idea🤣. i love my chickens but i just need a couple that lay some eggs

i got mine when i knew nothing about chickens, so picking from the almost empty assorted bantam bin was a good idea🤣. i love my chickens but i just need a couple that lay some eggs
I love getting assortments. When I'm getting certain breeds, I just get the hatchery choice so I don't know what colors they are

i am only allowed 6 chickens in the city, roosters are not allowed but mine wears a no crow collar so he can stay. unfortunately i will have to rehome a few to be able to get new ones. so far leghorns are seaming like a good idea. im planning on getting 2 or 3 different breeds.

speckled sussex would probably be my second choice

My understanding (not first hand, but rather from research as I considered additions to the genetics of my flock) is that the Sussex laid only medium eggs and was moderately slow to mature, so you might be waiting a bit on that production. They also (again, based on reports) lay fewer eggs on average than a leghorn, rock, RIR, NHR, or any of the commercial egg machine crossbreeds derived from those breeds.

So I'll ask. Do you most want a breed? Or most want table eggs? Or do you most want appearance? Because the Sussex is an attractive breed yes, but will be slow to supply the table, and will provide smaller eggs, less frequently, than some of the other choices you've considered. So I'm at something of a loss as to how best to help you in your search.

My understanding (not first hand, but rather from research as I considered additions to the genetics of my flock) is that the Sussex laid only medium eggs and was moderately slow to mature, so you might be waiting a bit on that production. They also (again, based on reports) lay fewer eggs on average than a leghorn, rock, RIR, NHR, or any of the commercial egg machine crossbreeds derived from those breeds.

So I'll ask. Do you most want a breed? Or most want table eggs? Or do you most want appearance? Because the Sussex is an attractive breed yes, but will be slow to supply the table, and will provide smaller eggs, less frequently, than some of the other choices you've considered. So I'm at something of a loss as to how best to help you in your search.
i thought sussex were more of a fast maturing breed. im mostly looking for a good or better egg layer or a pretty looking bird that lays a decent amount of eggs. just some more eggs than i get from my cochins 🤣

@chickenhappy1233 Have you seen Henderson's Handy Dandy? Its not complete, there are SO SO many breeds, and I'm sure elements of it are disputed, but I find it a useful quick reference. I also use this .pdf chart from the Livestock Conservancy and this listing, Farmhouse Guide. Where the first two agree, I don't look any further, being not fond of lists, I prefer charts. There are, of course, others.

Where there is disagreement, I grab a drink and start searching the web.

Back
Top Bottom