Looking for Penedesenca Eggs - WNY

Quote:
I think some eggs are pricier than others because of how hard they can be to hatch out.

Maybe but I think that is just a seller excuse. My experience has been those eggs that are fresher(meaning people that have more hens laying) and those that don't have to travel too, too far to get to you, hatch out fairly well and those that don't meet the above criteria, don't. If you are going to buy from someone who had a roo and two hens, your hatch rate is likely to be less, since two hens can only lay two eggs a day(unlikely everyday but maybe) and if you get six eggs it will take 3 days to collect then might, if you are lucky, be shipped out the next day and then take two days to get to you, so they are 5 days old before you get them. If someone has just one pair, well, you are just crazy to buy even six eggs from them, let alone a dozen (which I have seen for sale on here). You just have to pay attention to what you are buyihg.

Quote:
Aww, thats too bad. I had to put down a Welsumer hen, she dislocated her leg somehow, something must have tried to get her, could have been the big Possum I shot the other night in the chicken coop!
ep.gif

I don't really mind the prices, just that I stink sooo bad at hatching them, its running me like $25 a chicken, LOL

I picked up some Barred Rock and RIR hatching eggs at the auction the other week, .50 a dozen! I bought all that I could cram in my incubator, LOL

The penedescencas that I had were very flighty and they were the black ones. The egg was very dark, but I got rid of them anyway. I'm in western NY and have welsummers that lay a very dark egg. Send me a PM if you're interested.

welsummer-eggs-01.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom