Looking for Penedesenca Eggs - WNY

cassie0980

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Western New York
I've been trying to find some dark egg layers that are cold hardy and fairly docile, for a few months now. Every time I get something lined up it doesn't work out. I would prefer Penedesencas, but Welsummers and Barnevelders are okay also. Does anyone have Penedesenca eggs? Or maybe know someone that could help? Please point me in the right direction! Please, oh please!

Last edited:
There are several people looking for pendeseneca egggs or birds here. They are in the "hard to come by" category. They are also on the expensive end when you do find em.

Try a look-up for em in the upper right hand of the screen (the google search thing) and there are threads that give links to breeders not on BYC, but still reputable.

Good luck!

Little gem hatchery has them.. they are not cheap but the people are great to deal with and they also ship live birds... Have personally had a great experience...I got black pene's from them... still babies. LMK if you get some...I like the Crele but didn't get any...I should have though

I have a pair of Partridge Penedesencas. Her eggs are dark but not black like they claimed they would be. I can do 3 for $10 shipped. Or 6 for $20 shipped. I have hatched some out and they are such cute chicks.
love.gif

Anissa H on eggbid sells them. O bought some from her and would highly recommend her. I bought them when they were going for $30+ dollars a dozen. Now they go for a lot less. I think she might have an auction on there right now. Go to search and do a search by seller. Her username is cowgirl75446

The breed is far from docile. The blacks are suppose to not be so bad. The blacks were developed dual purpose for meat- however the blacks do not lay as dark brown egg as the Pene egg layer varieties. The blacks may not be all that docile, but in comparison to the wheaton and partridge, the crele are suppose to be the worst at being wild. I have been following the breed for 4-5 years now. And usually they get out of them because of the flighty trait. Breeder told me he keeps them with baby turkeys and that works. Soooo???? you should know what you are going to have to deal with if that trait bothers you.

I just hatched a single Wellie, LOL Having no luck at all getting those started! I have a dozen eggs in the incubator now from a girl in geneseo, they are nice and dark and quite big, didn't see pics of her birds though. She goes by Ovabid on Ebay.

Someone else in NY just posted Welsummers like last week, if you go back a few pages you should find him too.

Barnevelders are on my list of chickens to get, I am thinking I may just buy chicks instead of eggs, seeing as how bad I am at hatching, I don't want to buy super expensive eggs!

And there sure are plenty of super expensive eggs to choose from lately. Jus think, it usually costs me $5-7 to ship, if I charge $20 shipped--on 6 eggs, I am making a good profit. Anyway, just my vent about the prices lately, lol. Good luck in finding these. I would like the Penedesenca and barnvelders myself. I have cuckoo marans and welsummers but have to hatch more welsummers because in my first batch, I got 3 hens and a roo but the roo hurt his leg somehow and will never be any good for breeding.
Becky

Back
Top Bottom