Looking for perfect bird species for me

Afleetalex

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
I thought I wanted a button quail but after hearing that you can't really tame them I'm on the hunt again for a better suited pet bird. I don't want another hookbill(aka parrot), or any of the usual birds like canaries, finches, cockatiels, lovebirds, budgies and etc. I want a bird that is pretty tame and affectionate. I don't want a bird that is too loud (aka screeching, screaming). The bird has to be relatively small, nothing bigger than a conure. I really want a groundbird but it seems like most are quite skittish. I researched a bird called a mousebird but after seeing that their droppings are quite messy and runny I checked that off the list. Can anyone help my search? I would like to see some different species of softbills.

How about a dove? I ahve had quite a few that have been very friendly. THe trick is to get them as soon as they thave been weaned off the parent and handle the chick a lot. Sounds like it would be the perfect bird for you. They aren't messy, small, and the males make a beautiful noise!

What about a serama? I have a mix breed chick sitting in a plastic tub next to my
computer. He eats out of my hand, will perch on my finger, begs for food. I don't know
how tame seramas are but they are pretty small. Pigeons can get pretty tame as well.
I had button quail for awhile too. I got them used to eating mealworms from my hands
but not exactly tame. They all go through a popcorn stage when half grown when they shoot straight
up but will settle back down by the time they mature.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I looked up doves and found ground doves and quail doves. I couldn't seem to find any good sources of information on them. Anyone know anything about ground doves or quail doves?

I don't know much about those two species. The type I have at home are ringnecks. They are fairly common and I would certainly recommend them to you as a pet. They come in a lot of colors too. I kept a couple in my apartment for awhile, but had to bring them back home because when we would let them out of the cage they would sound like airplanes flying around! While we had them, they were great though. I feed mine layer pellets. They have special seed diets, but the pellets work just fine as well. They can digest it easier and don't need grit. Some of my doves are getting to about ten years old, but I've heard they can live well into their 20's. Great little birds, especially for people who want house pets, but don't want the noise, smell, or mess of parrots.

Try researching lineolated parakeets. They are a hookbill but they do not scream. They are quieter than a chicken and the size of a budgie/standard parakeet. The thread in this section titled "hakaze" is about my linnie.

i too would reccomend a lineolated parakeet, they are a SMALL hookbill, a little stockier than the american parakeet or budgies but a much shorter tail.
very sweet sounding, lovely little voices and if given enough time and attention MANY talk!
come in some beautiful colors, very interactive, easy to tame, still "unusual" there still in the early stages of growing popularity here in the US.

i have 2 linnies and they are very sweet, cute and fun birds, they spend alot of time hanging from the walls and the ceiling of the cage and seem to prefer a longer cage over a taller one.

i also love diamond doves, absolutly beautiful little doves

caiques are a fun little parrot as are both peach front and green cheek conures
i adore lori and lorikeets, but there messy
pionus and many of the larger parakeets are also lovely...

but if your certain your not looking for a hookbill id definatly look into diamonds...those ive been around are sweet, a little more skittish than the ringnecks, but absolutly beautiful...
my other suggestion to you would be looking into pigeons...there are many stunning piegeons out there from racers to homers to tumblers/rollers ect, they have a pleasent voice, typically breed well, can be incredibly friendly (especially when theres food involved) and in smaller numbers very easy to keep...
im especially fond or the fantail verieties

Last edited:
I'll check out the doves a bit more. I'm not sure about the lineolated though, with it still being a hookbill and all.

Back
Top Bottom