Looking for "predator proof" plant input

Leahmig44

Chirping
Jan 15, 2016
Hi there. We have a flock of free range chickens and haven't had much trouble with predators. This week though we lost 4 birds to a juvenile red tailed hawk. We are taking measures to protect the birds for now and to starve off/scare off the hawk. But I am looking for ideas for plants that are chicken (bonus points for goat) safe that will protect them from a hawk swoop. Presently our field is just tall grasses and they don't stand a chance. I'm looking for something dense, preferably thorny, and that will do well in zone 5 (Kentucky). We have goats in the same field so something that they would not eat would be best!
Thank you to anyone for any input!

Brambles are first choice but goats will eat them. Consider planting brambles then constructing some sort of fence to block goat access. Fence needs to be permeable to ckickens chickens. Diameter of enclosure needs to be at least 10'.

Brambles are first choice but goats will eat them. Consider planting brambles then constructing some sort of fence to block goat access. Fence needs to be permeable to ckickens chickens. Diameter of enclosure needs to be at least 10'.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of the brambles. They grow wild all over the place around here so it would be so easy to dig them up and move them to the pasture. I will do exactly this.

When you have a visiting hawk, lock the flock in their safe coop and run for ten to fourteen days, until the hawk gives up and moves elsewhere. Otherwise, it will return, maybe every three days or so, for another meal. Mary

Back
Top Bottom