1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Looking for pullets in this batch

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by New Chick2, Jul 29, 2014.

1. New Chick2

New Chick2 In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a coop full of araucana, Americauna, and Easter Eggers and I am hoping there are at least a couple of hens in there. Problem is, I seem to be completely incapable of figuring all of this out. So, please help and then let me in on how you can tell on each of the birds. :) thanks for helping me to learn.

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Basically look for patchy coloring, and red in the shoulders, along with large three row combs.

3. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014
    So, not to sound as totally nieve as I am, but, are you saying you think the white one might be a hen? And the one on the bucket?

4. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    One on the bucket is a roo, the white one might be a pullet depending on age

5. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014
    They are all 11-12 wks

6. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Everyone of the ones I can see in every pic are cockerels! The white one too!

7. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014
    How can you tell?? I've heard differing ideas like large red combs, double or triple combs all indicating Roos but even those with smaller combs and plainer colors have been tagged as roosters here. In my other flock, I have hens with giant bright red combs. I really need to get better at this....

8. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Ok, how old are they? That will help.

9. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014
    11-12 wks

10. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

EE pullets for the most part, like 99% of the time have nice even patterns! the male EE will have messy patterns like most of your do. Male EE with the rusty patches on the shoulders and wings is a Roo trait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: