Looking for Roos - Specific Breeds

ZuniBee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Zuni, Virginia
I ordered day old chicks and specifically ordered roos in all breeds. I ended up with the exact opposite problem of most folks.....I got all hens! Out of 20 RIR's I ordered two roo's and figured I would get more since hatcheries are 80% accurate. I have 20 RIR hens.

Anyway, I am looking for the following Roo's:

Rhode Island Red
Barred Plymouth Rock
Rhode Island White

Is there anyone in VA, NC, or Maryland with an extra Roo?

Considering that neighbors in urbania would balk over the roosters, those of us hoping for just hens would never get that lucky to get nothing but!!! I had a very handsome Dominque rooster (although you weren't looking for one, thought I'd mention it since roos are so often re-home by city slickers like me!) that should have been a hen and re-homed him several weeks ago. I think I read a thread about a guy in California with several roos he couldn't find homes for,even had pictures I think. Maybe you could search the forum for "roosters" and see if you can find some threads of folks looking to rehome some. Good luck and bless your heart for taking them when they are often so unwanted
smile.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. If I were in a place where I couldn't have roos I would have gotten 50%. The last RIR roo I ordered I thought would be a roo for sure. He was a month younger than the hens so I thought that would be good. Then one day I actually saw a hen lay an egg. When she left the nest box I couldn't believe it.....it was my roo....ah 20th RIR hen!

I love to watch my two mutt top hat roos and listening to them crow is too cool.

I have looked on line and actually thought finding roos would be easy. The difficult part is looking for the specific breeds - RIR, RIW and BR

I am suprised that's it's hard to find them because it seems someone is on this board nearly every few days in distress over having to find a home for their noisy roos!! Good luck!!!

i have 4 roos, 3 i need to find homes for, little silkies. posted on give away. i am way out of long island tho. originally i had 8, one died and 3 are hens..... i wanted all hens, maybe 1 roo.

Thanks but I am only looking for these specific breeds.......

Rhode Island Red
Barred Plymouth Rock
Rhode Island White

Only if I find a roo before that. If I find a BR roo then I will get ALL roos when I hatch. If I don't find a roo I will get all pullets!

I'm looking for hens if you have any extra. We're in Maryland.

Also, I know that it's not one of the three that you mentioned, but I do have an extra Partridge Plymouth Rock roo that's only about five months old, in case that's of any interest.

Back
Top Bottom