Looking for some advice- building LARGE run

One of my runs is 30 x 10 and has a sloped open roof with cattle panel covers. I used 7, 6 x 10 dog lot panels and the necessary hardware to form the slanted roof. I could have made it 40 or 50 ft long by adding 2 or 4 more panels, if I had wanted to. No building required. Something that long though, needs to be braced along the sides so it doesn't fall over.

Example
Pawhut-Outdoor-Chain-Link-Box-Kennel-Dog-House-with-Cover-af2c71d4-33ff-4318-9fee-b15de119fc36_600.jpg
Is that picture your run? I also used 2 of these to make my 30x10 run which I covered with hardware cloth. I'm interested in your roof using cattle panels. Can you show a photo of how you did that?

Is that picture your run? I also used 2 of these to make my 30x10 run which I covered with hardware cloth. I'm interested in your roof using cattle panels. Can you show a photo of how you did that?

That's not my run. Here's a smaller one of mine using the same technique as my 10x30 run. The poles slide into special fittings at the top and are secured to the run by brackets you can get at places like Lowes (I guess you already have these).

The carriage bolts that secure the brackets to the run point upwards so that the cattle panel can rest against the nuts (You will probably have to buy longer bolts; I used galvanized). Then a washer is placed on the bolt over the panel and secured with another nut. The cattle panels are wired to the slanted poles. The netting at top was necessary because the panels are only 50 inches wide (they are 16' long). Chicken wire or hardware cloth would work as well.

2017-07-06_090915.jpg

Last edited:
That's not my run. Here's a smaller one of mine using the same technique as my 10x30 run. The poles slide into special fittings at the top and are secured to the run by brackets you can get at places like Lowes (I guess you already have these).

The carriage bolts that secure the brackets to the run point upwards so that the cattle panel can rest against the nuts (You will probably have to buy longer bolts; I used galvanized). Then a washer is placed on the bolt over the panel and secured with another nut. The cattle panels are wired to the slanted poles. The netting at top was necessary because the panels are only 50 inches wide (they are 16' long). Chicken wire or hardware cloth would work as well.

View attachment 1981754
Thank you!

How'd you get that chicken to hide that fitting? :D
Care to show them, top and bottom?
Is that conduit as rafters?

That chicken was psycho broody. I finally relented and let her hatch some eggs.

I can't find my camera. The sloped pieces are just 1" or so metal pipe used for chain link fencing and dog lots. Here's what the fittings look like. Carriage bolt goes through the bottom fitting to clamp it around horizontal rail. I used longer bolts and reversed direction so the nut end pointed up:

s-l1000.jpg

Bottom
c_32.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom