Looking for some help molting chicken with other issues

Chrissy D

Chirping
Feb 3, 2021
Magnolia, TX
I have a sweet buff orpington, A few weeks ago she started a hard molt. A few days ago I noticed her self isolating and she had 1 eye closed. She perched on some bricks I use as steps that evening in the coop. I quickly picked her up and brought her into my studio for warmth and to separate from my other girls.

I have 20 chickens. I have a large coop and about 1000 square foot of run space and they free range a little each day. My husbandry in the coop is probably better than my house, not really but I do keep my coop CLEAN!

The night I found her up on the bricks and not the roost was the second chilly night in a row here in Texas and I could tell she was cold prior to bringing her inside my studio, which is insulated and warm. She has been eating well, but not too interested in drinking. I have been encouraging drinking and although I did have my husband help me and hold her for me to dropper water her, I am trying not to handle her as she is full of new feathers and pin feathers and I know it is painful. What I noticed today is she has a huge amount of dander coming from her new feathers. And she does have a little wheeze. This was on Saturday night, Sunday she was fantastic and I put her back out, Sunday pm she was looking the same although she roosted, I brought her back inside. Today she looks more lethargic.

I am using VetRX under her wings and in the pen I have her in to help. I am feeding scrambled eggs and a little oatmeal with molasses and cinnamon and a touch of garlic and oregano. I drenched the oatmeal with water tonight to encourage more liquids.

I don’t really have a vet to bring her too, and with 20 chickens I do my best to continue to learn and care for them myself. What more do I need to do for this girl???

Thanks so much for your help!

Molt causes their bodies a lot more stress than they normally ever see. I’d hazard a guess that she may just be feeling run down from it.
Keep encouraging the drinking, but I think I’d try some poultry cell or nutridrench to give a solid vitamin boost.
It’s great that you’re trying to limit handling. Try to get close enough to listen to her breathing close to her body, not just externally. See if you can get a listen to her lungs at all. You’ll be listening for any gurgling or exaggerated raspy sounds.
I hope she gets on the mend soon!!

Molt causes their bodies a lot more stress than they normally ever see. I’d hazard a guess that she may just be feeling run down from it.
Keep encouraging the drinking, but I think I’d try some poultry cell or nutridrench to give a solid vitamin boost.
It’s great that you’re trying to limit handling. Try to get close enough to listen to her breathing close to her body, not just externally. See if you can get a listen to her lungs at all. You’ll be listening for any gurgling or exaggerated raspy sounds.
I hope she gets on the mend soon!!
I appreciate your time in responding. This morning she is so much better, no eyes closed, drinking and eating. Last night when I listened it was as if she was sighing, I listened again today and no rattles or gurgling. I have given Poultry boost and added an additional waterer with a little ACV. I have read they are attracted to ACV and will encourage them to drink. This evening she pigged down some sunflower seeds, scrambled egg, feed and grit, as I was concerned she needed more. She is drinking as the bowl of water is lower, and still has not closed her eyes today. Yay! I opted tp keep her inside my studio again tonight, so no relapses will occur. I think we are on the mend. Her feathers are flowering beautifully. She is my 6th that has molted this year, and the second with exhaustion issues. I have read more on foods to help them through and will start a regimen sooner next molt to insure we don’t get behind on the Needed additional nutrition. Thanks again.

I appreciate your time in responding. This morning she is so much better, no eyes closed, drinking and eating. Last night when I listened it was as if she was sighing, I listened again today and no rattles or gurgling. I have given Poultry boost and added an additional waterer with a little ACV. I have read they are attracted to ACV and will encourage them to drink. This evening she pigged down some sunflower seeds, scrambled egg, feed and grit, as I was concerned she needed more. She is drinking as the bowl of water is lower, and still has not closed her eyes today. Yay! I opted tp keep her inside my studio again tonight, so no relapses will occur. I think we are on the mend. Her feathers are flowering beautifully. She is my 6th that has molted this year, and the second with exhaustion issues. I have read more on foods to help them through and will start a regimen sooner next molt to insure we don’t get behind on the Needed additional nutrition. Thanks again.
I am having the same issue with one of mine. She is a Buff too, and I found her fluffed up and looking weird and when I picked her up, I felt she was actually trembling. The weather is much colder here in Ky. than Texas. We just went from the warm 60's down to 29's. I noticed the dandruff too. I gave her some B-complex and Poultry Nutri-Drench and put her down in my basement which is not as warm as the house. Her comb is what worries me though..it was a bit purply on one tip. She has always been on the low weight side, because she is my "special needs" chicken, so she's my favorite because she is special.

I am having the same issue with one of mine. She is a Buff too, and I found her fluffed up and looking weird and when I picked her up, I felt she was actually trembling. The weather is much colder here in Ky. than Texas. We just went from the warm 60's down to 29's. I noticed the dandruff too. I gave her some B-complex and Poultry Nutri-Drench and put her down in my basement which is not as warm as the house. Her comb is what worries me though..it was a bit purply on one tip. She has always been on the low weight side, because she is my "special needs" chicken, so she's my favorite because she is special.
I totally understand. I too have a special needs chicken that I hold my breath for a few seconds every morning letting the girls out of the coop…. Until I see her. She is only 14 months and has been plagued with reproductive issues in turn causing crop issue after crop issue. She has a purple section on her comb, which we all know is a heart issue. I think this girl was just doomed genetically And she too is one of my very favorites. I just do everything to make her happy and I do know my time is limited. She is just getting over losing half her body weight and a vitamin deficiency causing her to fall over due to slow crop. It’s so hard, I am not built to think it is just a chicken. I hope your sweet girl is better soon. I just always say, if this girl of mine was anyone else’s she would have been culled a long time ago. She is just my bird to help For as long as I can.

I too have a Buff and she is special. Is this normal for this breed? She stop laying eggs in August 2021, she is very determined, a bully to one of the other chickens. She has energy but she is so happy being to herself even though she runs the yard with the other 3 girls. She does sit a lot during the day near her sisters. The first year she slept in the nest, rarely on the perch. She now likes sleeping on top of the coop roof since one was molting and took her favorite spot in the nest. The weather is expected too turn cold. Would you suggest I put her back in the nest during this cold snap at night?

I too have a Buff and she is special. Is this normal for this breed? She stop laying eggs in August 2021, she is very determined, a bully to one of the other chickens. She has energy but she is so happy being to herself even though she runs the yard with the other 3 girls. She does sit a lot during the day near her sisters. The first year she slept in the nest, rarely on the perch. She now likes sleeping on top of the coop roof since one was molting and took her favorite spot in the nest. The weather is expected too turn cold. Would you suggest I put her back in the nest during this cold snap at night?
If it were mine, I would. Just to insure she isn't too cold. Sometimes I feel they just need help making good decisions.... LOL.

Back
Top Bottom