Looking for some shipping advice (money related, not packing related)

GothChick

Songster
13 Years
Sep 5, 2010
Wisconsin
Ok so my Coturnix Quail are laying great and some of my friends wanted me to ship them some eggs but I'm a little confused with how shipping prices work. For example: I bought eggs from quaillady in fall and shipping was a little under $7 for a mix of 12+ coturnix and button eggs, and I live in WI and she's in FL. Well then I wanted to buy 6+ button eggs from a lady on Ebay and they told me it would be $17 for shipping and we are both from WI. So I don't understand this at all. I want to begin shipping eggs at the lowest cost possible, how do I do this? Also how do people know the shipping costs with just a zip code? Thanks for your help!

Some people use flat rate boxes, then they know the cost, myself I don't and can ship 5 heavy peafowl eggs,just about anywhere for 10.00. Alaska cost me 12.00.

You can get a chart of cost by zone from the USPS, just don't use flat rate boxes , all boxes are free from USPS.

Unfortunately There Are Some Sellers That Think They Should Make More Money Off Of The Shipping Part Of The Sale, Or Use The Exorbident Shipping Price To Make Up For Low Auction Prices. Granted Shipping Prices Did Recently Go Up... And Its Not Cheap, But 17 Bucks To Ship 6 Button Quail Eggs? Comon! Whats She Shipping Them In A Lead Box? When I See Auctions Like That I Use The Report Button. It Didnt Cost Me 17 Bucks To Ship 14 Large Cochin Eggs From Florida To California Yesterday And The Cochin Eggs Would Weigh More Than An Entire Flock Of Adult Buttons...

I have found alot depends on how they are shipped. Meaning the first eggs I shipped I used a larger box and had foam packed in there it was heavier cost me 16.00 priority mail. This last batch just used bubble wrap and a smaller box cost me 9.00 priorty. They were LF eggs

For chicken eggs, I have managed to ship for $10...using bubble wrap and newspaper. No complaints yet.

For button quail and coturnix $7 it is...it is now $8 because the cartons went a little up in bit. But I dont' make money off shipping, that's what the eggs are for..

The cost of shipping is exactly what it cost! Sorry, but this really toasts by shorts. It costs me $8.20 to send JJ 3# of anything. That is just what it costs! If you want to send 3#'s of anything, 1000 away, it will cost between 8 and 9 US dollars. End of story!
That is the shipping cost. The & handling charge, pays for egg cartons, bubble wrap, box, and anything used to send that package on it's way, including, but not limited to the labor involved in getting that package out the door. (Generally 3-5% of the shipping cost).

For people that want' "Free Shipping" you should really look at the postage stamp!!!!

I have seen people using flat rate priority boxes #7 , cost is 14.00 no matter the weight. I use #7 priority box ,or #4 both free. 5 large peafowl eggs cost me 7.00 to 10.00 in any of the lower 48 states.

Yes its just wrong people making money off of shipping.

Joe I Dont Think She's Looking For Free Shipping, Simply Trying To Figure Out Why Such A Large Difference In Prices... Looks As Tho Someone Is Using Unusually High Shipping Rate. Placing 6+ Button Eggs In A Flat Rate Box That Costs 16 Bucks To Ship Would Be Like Putting An Elevator In A Out House... Doesnt Make Sense As There's Only 1 Direction To Go. If The Shipper Were To Be Using That Form Of Shipping It Would Explain The Substantially Higher Cost, As Well As Throw Their Common Sense Level Into Majorly Serious Question... So Serious That If They Were Willing To Ship That Way I Would Tend To Question What Bizarre Things Happen With The Producers Of Said Eggs To The Point Of Finding Another Source.

Foam Shipping Inserts Do Add Money To The Shipping Bill... They Can Be Quite A Tidy Lil Expense As A Shipper I Wont Generally Use Them Because The Natural Shipping Prices Are Prohibitive Enough To Many Buyers... Add To That And It Stiffles Sales. I Really Like Foam Shippers, But They Just Arent Practical In Many Transactions.. Often Times Costing As Much As The Product To Be Used With Them... If Your Set Up To Make Your Own Shippers Thats A Different Story. If I Buy Them In Larger Lots They Normally Run Around 3-5 Bucks/ Ea. By The Time I Buy Them And Get Them Shipped To Me.

Many Folks Take The Easy Way Out--- Flat Rate, I'm A Bargain Shopper Myself So I Have Found That Standard Prioity Mail Is Usually Cheaper In Most Cases And Even In A Few, On Rare Occaisions With Large Orders Or Heavy Eggs It May Be The Cheapest... But Usually Not, Especially With Quail Eggs... And Personally I Dont Like Flat Rate Boxes... They Are Space Prohibitive And Limit The Amount Of Padding I Can Use To Stop Shipping Loss Of Eggs... While They Work Fine For Smaller Eggs Like Quail Or Pheasant Again We're Back To The "by Weight Vs Flat Rate" Scenario And The Weight Isnt There With Smaller Eggs.

Shipped Large Cochin Eggs Yesterday... 14 Total Weighing 3lbs 5.5oz Priority Mail + Delv Conf = 16.60. Still 10 Cents Cheaper Than Flat Rate And Much Better Padded For The Trip Which Is Taking From Here In Central Florida To Western California. I Doubt You Could Pack 3lbs 5.5 Oz Of Button Quail Eggs In 1 Box As They're Tiny And Have No Weight To Them You'd End Up Needing A Bigger Box To Hold That Much Weight's Worth Of Button Eggs... And It Certainly Wouldnt Be 6+.

If One Were To Peruse Ebay Egg Sales You'll Find A Decent Number Of Folks Doing This "over Inflated Shipping Charges" So Much So They Actually Have A Report Button To Report Abusers. Like Most Things In This World It Usually Comes To Down To Sheer Monetary Greed Mixed With Unscrupulous Behavior To Acheive Their Goals= Make As Much Money As Possible.

Ok. I didn't mean to tar the OP with my rant.

I can actually be more helpful here. If you are going to ship 10#+ of some inert product like..Game Bird Starter, then you want the flat rate box. If you are shipping things like (EGGS) then go for the pay by weight boxes.

I see your flat rate point
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom