Looking for Spent Hens

Pharmagirl

In the Brooder
May 25, 2018
Hello all, I live in northeast PA and am new to backyard chicken keeping. I have decided to adopt ex-battery hens instead of going the designer breed route but I am at a loss as to how to find some poor girls that will be processed out at 18 months from an egg production farm. I thought that I would just go to a live poultry market in Patterson NJ and liberate some hens but I am afraid I will just be buying broilers. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on some factory birds before they go to slaughter? Thanks.

Hello, and :welcome

I can't suggest where to look. but I think it is awesome you are wanting to adopt ex-battery hens. God bless you! My mother's first flock were ex-battery hens; 20 white leghorns. I was maybe 5 or 6 years old when she got them. I remember the guy delivering them dumped them out on the floor of the coop, and the poor things just laid there on the ground...they couldn't walk. Within a week they had gained leg strength and was out free ranging on our farm enjoying bugs and grass and scratching around. It was an awesome sight to see!

Hello all, I live in northeast PA and am new to backyard chicken keeping. I have decided to adopt ex-battery hens instead of going the designer breed route but I am at a loss as to how to find some poor girls that will be processed out at 18 months from an egg production farm. I thought that I would just go to a live poultry market in Patterson NJ and liberate some hens but I am afraid I will just be buying broilers. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on some factory birds before they go to slaughter? Thanks.
Call the number on an egg carton and ask them if you can buy some spent hens. I suggest you buy Leghorns as they won’t have reproductive issues like the Sex Links or production breeds used in factory farms.

be kind dont cage.gif

GREETINGS Pharmagirl, Welcome to BYC! :frow

Back
Top Bottom