Looking for success stories and advice- changing laws

LuvHens

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2018
Wall, NJ
So I live in a town that prohibits "raising of swine or fowl" in its land use ordinances. We've been wanting to have our own small backyard flock for years. While my husband has suggested that we just get a small flock anyway, I'm really worried that the neighbors will hear them and rat us out. We live on a little over half an acre on a corner lot, and there's a house right behind us and our lot is wider than it is deep, so I have no doubts that they will hear them. So I'm starting to look into what I need to do to try to persuade the town to change its laws. I would love to hear success stories and what worked for you. Also I was curious about the approach - do I need to determine if others in the town are in favor of backyard chickens first? Like should I go onto my town's facebook group (ran by locals) and see if there's interest? I'm wondering if that is needed to strengthen my argument, but to be honest I'm afraid to do so as there is so much misinformation out there about chickens, and I'd worry that some would start a fight with me and sabotage my efforts. Thanks!

I have a friend who lives in Tacoma and in her area it said"no farm animals". Or something like that. She was able to get around it by naming each of her chickens. At that point they were considered pets and not live stock. I'll ask her later exactly how the law was worded. Good luck in your efforts. It does really come down to your area.

So I live in a town that prohibits "raising of swine or fowl" in its land use ordinances. We've been wanting to have our own small backyard flock for years. While my husband has suggested that we just get a small flock anyway, I'm really worried that the neighbors will hear them and rat us out. We live on a little over half an acre on a corner lot, and there's a house right behind us and our lot is wider than it is deep, so I have no doubts that they will hear them. So I'm starting to look into what I need to do to try to persuade the town to change its laws. I would love to hear success stories and what worked for you. Also I was curious about the approach - do I need to determine if others in the town are in favor of backyard chickens first? Like should I go onto my town's facebook group (ran by locals) and see if there's interest? I'm wondering if that is needed to strengthen my argument, but to be honest I'm afraid to do so as there is so much misinformation out there about chickens, and I'd worry that some would start a fight with me and sabotage my efforts. Thanks!
By the way Welcome to BYC.

Where are you from, Texas passed a Law last year that citys can't ban Chickens. I think you can have up 6 hens just no Roosters

I have a friend who lives in Tacoma and in her area it said"no farm animals". Or something like that. She was able to get around it by naming each of her chickens. At that point they were considered pets and not live stock. I'll ask her later exactly how the law was worded. Good luck in your efforts. It does really come down to your area.

Thanks for replying! I actually thought about that too, how it is worded... it says "no raising of swine or fowl" so I was wondering if we could get away with saying that they are pets! But I guess if you have an animal, you are technically raising it...not sure if that would fly.

Where are you from, Texas passed a Law last year that citys can't ban Chickens. I think you can have up 6 hens just no Roosters

I live at the Jersey shore. Not exactly known as a farming or rural area, but my town in particular has a number of farms.

It would be helpful if you put your general location in your profile. Go to your state thread, and ask there. There may be some folks in your neighborhood who are flying under the radar. I'm not advocating for that, and actually such behavior may strengthen the position of the "NO CHICKENS NIMBY's" But, if you find folks from your area, they will be your best allies in fighting to change the laws.

Are dogs allowed? Are dogs allowed and allowed to live in outdoor dog houses? What are the noise ordinances pertaining to dogs?

If dogs are allowed, you could base your argument on this fact. Dogs poop outdoors. Dog poop stinks. Dogs bark. LOUD. Some dogs bark at everything and nothing. Dogs have been known to bite people.

Chickens poop outdoors. But, in a well managed coop/run there will be NO ODOR. Chickens cluck. Usually, that cluck is not heard unless you are fairly close. They only cluck loudly if they've laid an egg, or if a predator has caused them alarm. If you do a google search, you may not find a single case of an ER visit caused by a chicken bite. Chickens can be wonderful pets, while making your breakfast.

If you do get the needed support, suggest that reasonable rulings include: distance from neighbor's property lines, allowance for a flock of up to 6 birds (to accommodate the flock needs of a chicken). No roosters. Adequate housing which must include: a minimum of 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird, 1 s.f. of ventilation in coop/bird, and 1 l.f. of perch space in coop/bird.

It would be helpful if you put your general location in your profile. Go to your state thread, and ask there. There may be some folks in your neighborhood who are flying under the radar. I'm not advocating for that, and actually such behavior may strengthen the position of the "NO CHICKENS NIMBY's" But, if you find folks from your area, they will be your best allies in fighting to change the laws.

Are dogs allowed? Are dogs allowed and allowed to live in outdoor dog houses? What are the noise ordinances pertaining to dogs?

If dogs are allowed, you could base your argument on this fact. Dogs poop outdoors. Dog poop stinks. Dogs bark. LOUD. Some dogs bark at everything and nothing. Dogs have been known to bite people.

Chickens poop outdoors. But, in a well managed coop/run there will be NO ODOR. Chickens cluck. Usually, that cluck is not heard unless you are fairly close. They only cluck loudly if they've laid an egg, or if a predator has caused them alarm. If you do a google search, you may not find a single case of an ER visit caused by a chicken bite. Chickens can be wonderful pets, while making your breakfast.

If you do get the needed support, suggest that reasonable rulings include: distance from neighbor's property lines, allowance for a flock of up to 6 birds (to accommodate the flock needs of a chicken). No roosters. Adequate housing which must include: a minimum of 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird, 1 s.f. of ventilation in coop/bird, and 1 l.f. of perch space in coop/bird.

Thank you! This is helpful. I'll update my profile, but in the meantime I did post in the New Jersey thread and also on an ongoing thread under Chicken Laws for NJ. That is a very good point about dogs! I don't think most people realize that chickens are less risky/smelly of an animal than dogs are.

You might even see if there is a flock owner in NJ who would allow your town selectmen to visit his/her coop to see just how manageable chickens can be on an urban lot, and how they can be kept cleanly, and odor free.

Back
Top Bottom