Looking for suggestions

What breeds would be best for feathers

• Total voters

Feather father

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2021
So I have a few things I'm looking for In a chicken 1 I'm looking for a chicken that's decent sized 2 I'm looking for a brown egg layer but I'm looking for a bit of an unusual aspect I'm looking for a chicken that produces long feathers that are colorful preferable banded in color

Well theres a reason I'm looking for different colors theres a lot of fly tieing enthusiasts in my area who normally buy there cockerel sadle off Line for booko bucks so I'm looking to sell feathers that are relatively color full when I end up culling the birds that dont meet the standards of the very strict criteria I'm going to be putting both my hens and roosters threw as I'm looking into starting my own line of the chicken breed I choose

Well theres a reason I'm looking for different colors theres a lot of fly tieing enthusiasts in my area who normally buy there cockerel sadle off Line for booko bucks so I'm looking to sell feathers that are relatively color full when I end up culling the birds that dont meet the standards of the very strict criteria I'm going to be putting both my hens and roosters threw as I'm looking into starting my own line of the chicken breed I choose
You'll want genetic hackle chickens if fly tying is your goal. Any other breed has inferior qualities for fly tying.

The birds also have to be grown out fully which means a lot of time and feed and a space for each bird individually to grow, no flock situations since being together they can get damaged feathers.

Overall, I looked into it and even took up fly ting using some of my own feathers from my barred rock bantams, and realized why the capes are so expensive 😂 it costs a ton to produce a nice one when all's said and done!

That being said, if I were just casually doing it for myself and wanted otherwise useful birds, I'd keep going with my crele leghorns or golden crele legbars. None of the breeds you list have barred hackle or saddle feathers. The barred rock bantams weren't bad, but I'd like more brown and gold tones over the black and white barring.

Back
Top Bottom