Looking for those first time "pet" chicken owner

im new too!! my family says im very obsessed!! they are ready to send" the nice people with the butterfly nets" to get me:p, i totally love my chickies!! im so glad i got into byc's
wee.gif
, ive learned so much!! this site is addicting also:caf

Last edited:
All my girls are pets and stay with me until they pass on. I "inherited" a few chickens when my husband and I moved back into our rural home permanently a couple of years ago. If you told me then that chickens would be my all time favorite hobby/activity/interest and I would love each and every one of these silly birds, I would not have believed you.

And I am hooked too, and BYC has been a God-send for me. I have learned a great deal and hopefully have helped others as well.

So, my advice is use this board for questions or help. Read as much as you can, there is terrific information on the internet. Keep your girls safe as possible from predators and injury. Feed them only the best food and the freshest and cleanest water. And look out....cuz pretty soon if it hasn't happened already.....you are happily hooked. The new baby chicks are so cute but don't bring any home unless you have the means to quarantine and house separately until they can be integrated into your flock.

Welcome to our world....so happy to have you.

Anne

We got our Silkies a week ago. They are 5-6 weeks old now. We plan for many, many more chickens, and all of ours will be pets. If any of them need to "go", they will be rehomed. I couldn't, nor could my dh, cull any.

Congratulations on your new pets. I could not kill or eat my chickens either
smile.png
This site is so great for learning and very helpful when you have questions. I think the most important thing is a safe coop. Best Wishes!!!!!

Wendy

OMY am I happy I got chickens! We are IN LOVE with the things! Even our roos! We find it so hard to part with them. We have two that we want to keep right now and we are going to try to keep both of them. If you want to see how we "struggled" with first time chicken ownership just read here! LOL

http://journals.aol.com/breakaway1968/hangin-wit-my-peeps/

They have really been a joy in my life this past six weeks
smile.png

Hi, all!
I just wanted to weigh in here...I order my very first batch of chicks tomorrow and I'm SO excited - I can hardly wait!!! I'm ordering 4 barred rock hens and 1 rooster. If my new rooster is not friendly he will be making a one way trip to a meet processor about 3 miles from here...I cannot eat them, these will be my much-loved pets. But, the great thing about this is that for a $3.00 fee they will butcher the chicken and donate all usable pieces to groups like Salvation Army, Metropolitan Ministries, The Spring etc. It is given to these organizations at no cost to them. That is a solution I can live with. Maybe others can do the same thing
smile.png
if a good home cannot be found for a rooster gone mad.

Back
Top Bottom